Bearded Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-11-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
Reptile Adoptions
Bearded Help

I just took in two bearded today from a lady that does a at home rescue there suppose to be proven breeders she got out of someone because one they didnt take care of them they are about 5 years old and weigh about 250 grams tops. I soaked them both in warm water and got the male to eat alot of crickets and some salad the female drank water for about a good 10 minutes and ate some salad shortly after. I need to know what else i can do so they dont die.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...OCKS05/001.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...OCKS05/002.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...OCKS05/003.jpg

Remeber from nose to tail they are as long as a 10 gallon tank

two things these animals where not bought by me i picked them up today to help them heal i hope and two they are not for sale now or when they heal

Old 02-11-2007, 01:28 AM   #2
Denisebme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile Adoptions
I just took in two bearded today from a lady that does a at home rescue there suppose to be proven breeders she got out of someone because one they didnt take care of them they are about 5 years old and weigh about 250 grams tops. I soaked them both in warm water and got the male to eat alot of crickets and some salad the female drank water for about a good 10 minutes and ate some salad shortly after. I need to know what else i can do so they dont die.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...OCKS05/001.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...OCKS05/002.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...OCKS05/003.jpg

Remeber from nose to tail they are as long as a 10 gallon tank

two things these animals where not bought by me i picked them up today to help them heal i hope and two they are not for sale now or when they heal
Poor things! It looks like they're eating, which is a good sign. Feed them as much as they'll eat and try higher fat foods. For fast weight gain I use Superworms, Chicken babyfood, pumpkin. I also will put higher fructose stuff in their salads like blackberries, raspberries and strawberries.
One really great appetite builder is jump start. It's high caloric content is also good right now.
I got one girl in once that looked very much like these, and in a month, she gained a little over 100 grams.
Getting a fecal exam right now is also a really good idea.
Feed them as often as you can and make sure they always have fresh greens to pick at.
You're doing a good thing here, if you have any questions that I can help with, please email me anytime.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:15 AM   #3
Reptile Adoptions
What good is a fecal exam? And i was told to hang off the worms from a breeder they said it would be alittle hard for them to digest i have plenty of worms and my mice are suppose to have babies at any time so i was thinking a live pinky each?

Old 02-11-2007, 06:45 AM   #4
Cat_72
If you have a fecal done, you will know if they have internal parasites........if they are loaded with parasites, they won't even be getting the full benefit of the good food you give them, the parasites will still be draining them.

I'd do just as Denise said, the only thing I might add is that a few waxworms may help get some weight on them as well...and be certain you are dusting their insects with a good calcium supplement. A pinky mouse won't hurt either, if they will eat them.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
Reptile Adoptions
My question is the lady said these came out of a petstore around Rush city minnesota i have no idea wtf they where thinking if this is true and doing a search i cant find a petstore in or around rush city maybe im an idio. Now she said the red one is suppose to be brown like a normal bearded she is telling me its redness is from shedding and sand? Never heard of it there is flaking really bad and she gets daily 20 minute soaks but im not understanding what these people where thinking and why the redness? and Fyi the both ate about 20 meal worms today each and abunch of salad last night getting some strawberrys and suchs ina few minutes

Old 02-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
shinkster
poor babies. who could let dragons get that sad looking?

i'm glad they're in good hands now at least.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
Cat_72
Calci-sand and similar sands discolor the skin, regardless of whether they claim to be "dye-free". I would guess that the reddish looking one was kept on a red sand of some sort. After she sheds out a couple of times, you should be able to see what her true color is.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #8
Denisebme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile Adoptions
What good is a fecal exam? And i was told to hang off the worms from a breeder they said it would be alittle hard for them to digest i have plenty of worms and my mice are suppose to have babies at any time so i was thinking a live pinky each?
The fecal exam will check for intestinal parasites, on dragons this thin, it wouldn't surprise me to see a heavy infestation.
Some works I would not feed, like Meal worms. Superworms are very fatty, so they help them to add weight quickly.
Pinkies are also good when you have them for adding needed weight, but once they start to gain well, I'd back off them. You can give them a couple pinkies a week if they'll eat them.
Greens and a good calcium suppliment, something that contains a lot of nutrients like butternut squash, grated yams, all will help get them healthy and add weight. The most important thing is to make sure they have a constant food source right now.
As far as the redness goes, you can try giving them a good soak, and I use a soft bristled tooth brush for washing. It may well be that the redness is from the substrate they were using, but red is also not an unusual color for beardies, so don't panic if it doesn't disappear.
You'll find that different breeders have different opinions about what works well. I've done my share of rescue work and I'm also a small breeder, I can just tell you what has worked for me.
The fecal exams are fairly inexpensive, and if they have undiagnosed parasites, they may not gain much weight no matter what you do until the parasites are back to healthy levels.
Keep us posted on how they're doing. I can't wait to see pictures of them fat and healthy.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
Reptile Adoptions
Where do you get a fecal exam done no one around here can tell ther head from there read end when it comes to reptiles! and what is the cure for them

Old 02-12-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
Reptile Adoptions
Well the really good news is the male is getting alot better i think between the two they have had 3 baths soaks in 2 days got fed about 5 times atleast and ate almost all of it the male feels like he is about 20 times heavier and eats like no tomorrow and is supper friendly non headbobbing like other males i own. the female is still having a really really hard time she floats when i put her in water but is eating meal worms like no tomorrow its all i have for now i just ordered 500 more crickets and 2000 wax and 4000 super worms so waiting on them in the next few days.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!