Adenovirus - The Forgotten Subject - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
walker75
Adenovirus - The Forgotten Subject

A month or more has passed since this topic has been discussed. I was just wondering if if the breeders have tested and also hobbyist.

They said they would but may not POST the results.

Some have planned clutches others do not.

It is interesting that this topic has just dropped off the forums as the

UNSPEAKABLE Virus.

The clutches will hatch and I hope all are healthy and Non Positive for Adeno.

The Reality is I know that some will not be so lucky and there colonies will be Infected and they have no idea as of yet.

We can only learn from what others have experienced

So Please Share Your Experience with Adeno Positive Clutches or Dragons

Please TEST and DO NOT SELL

POSITIVE ADENOVIRUS DRAGONS

Old 03-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
Cat_72
This is a subject that is far from "forgotten".....nothing "unspeakable" about it. If there is no new information to be shared, it's silly to keep the threads going with unproductive bickering, when that energy could be better used elsewhere, no?

Old 03-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
walker75
With attitudes like this ....New Information will not be shared and experiences will not be brought forward correct.

I am passed bickering although others may not be ..

It is breeding season and people may not know there breeders are Positive so the cycle continues yet again.

Awareness is the Key and with that Knowledge is gained about this Deadly Virus .. No?

So we can learn more about this and how it affects our Dragons either being born with it or Cross Contaminated.

Experiences can be shared and knowledge gained maybe not HERE in this forum but it CAN be done

Old 03-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
Cat_72
Karen, I was referring to the "other" threads when I mentioned bickering. That seemed to be all that was being accomplished on those, by the the time they died down.

I agree the word needs to be kept out there......but there's only so much that can be said at this point that is productive. The constant arguing will be what scares folks from posting their experiences, ya know?

I have been trying to collect fecals from all of mine, but many have been very uncooperative and seem to enjoy waiting to poop until I am gone, and I'm not getting fresh samples. I may have to resort to doing all PCR testing.

I will NOT be incubating any eggs until I have results....I already threw away one clutch this year, and it pained me greatly to do so.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
walker75
Cathy

My heart does go out to you for losing your clutch .. and waiting to test... other do not take this step.

I also agree with you on the other thread.

This is a new thread and I know I am NOTthe only one with a so called Healthy Positive Adenovirus Dragon.

I just would like information like others want but we have nothing because there is none.

I also do not believe at this point anything is small concerning anything in there daily lives such as eating habits or care ...this is daily information that can be shared and knowledge gained.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:50 AM   #6
Rebel Dragons
Just because YOU may not see it being discussed does not mean that it hasn't been. For you to insinuate that it has been "forgotten" is an insult to everyone that has been infected by Adeno.

You claim to want to spread and share information about the virus and promote awareness of it among breeders and hobbyists alike. Sorry, Karen but I just can't see it.... All I see is you wanting to know who has it and who doesn't. Are they breeding or aren't they? I understand wanting to know that information but it pales in comparison to educating others and promoting awareness of the virus.

I have spent countless hours on the phone with Biologists, Virologists, Vets, Breeders, Colleges and Universities and many casual owners. I have dedicated hours upon hours to reading forums and dedicating time to reading vet manuals and articles about Adeno. One of best friends had her entire life turned upside down by this virus and we talk almost daily about adeno and what we can do, along with others, to help educate people about adeno. Hidden? Unspeakable? I think NOT!!! How many people have called you crying hysterically because they got a positive test result, how many time have you been feeding your dragons and burst into tears because your scared all of your dragons were sick.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HELP, KAREN? Offer something to the fold or stop criticizing everyone else for their lack of "mentioning" adeno.

You asked me in another thread if I have tested yet. Yes, I have. I had one positive result come back. That dragon went to a good friend of mine where it will live out the remainder of it's life spoiled and happy. My other dragons all came back negative. I too, have destroyed an entire clutch of eggs due to concerns over this virus. I later found out that the parents are negative but given the circumstances I believe I did the right thing. I hope to have another clutch from the parents soon but who knows.....

Want to see what I have done in my very limited spare time, Karen? www.rebeldragons.com Click the link front and center on the top of my page. It's a work in progress but it should prove to you that not everyone is afraid to speak about adeno and share information and knowledge. It's not perfect but at least I am trying to do something positive instead of criticizing others.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #7
walker75
So we can learn more about this and how it affects our Dragons either being born with it or Cross Contaminated.

Experiences can be shared and knowledge gained maybe not HERE in this forum but it CAN be done

This is the direction that I was wanting to go for. I am doing this myself Locally

It was not meant to start the crap that you insinuate Mike as to who has it and who does not.

Mike I am also sorry You and other breeders have been affected by this Virus and have had to lose clutches it is heart breaking. Yes I do know others, yes things are being discussed behind the scenes.

What have I done you ask in mock.... What I am doing is what I can and know I can do to educate people at the Retail Level that I have worked for in the past that sells dragons to the public.

Making them aware Where they can go to find the information such as Web Sites and Forums.

On a local level it is has been very productive. Employees are now educating new dragons owners of sites and forums and of the correct husbandry and all health concerns not just Adeno.

Making new owners and potential owners aware of keeping bearded dragons correctly
any health and husbandry concerns when they would want one as a pet.

Giving information to the sites that offer what limited info there is out there about it.

Yes I do know alot of breeders are right now dealing with this. I am not wanting them to confess as you imply anything. Yes alot of breeders. I do know a few YES

This also does not mean I hope they have damage to their business or future business. Far from it. Because I do NOT

Information as to daily living experience with Adeno positive dragons.. if they are arising or not.. if so How?

I am glad mine is doing well at this time.

Yes he has eating issues, He does seem to have some depth perception problems while hunting. Is he gaining weight? Yes he is 510 grams and he also is 20 inches long. He also has coccida problems and HAD pinworms that where hard to get rid of.

It is a concern to me always as the coccida levels go up and do not go down. When and how does this affect him or will it????

I also am retesting to find out if he is shedding any levels and how many. I will also continue to do so. I will post the results when I get them..

As I have posted on MANY of the sites you copied and pasted too your site.

This is -- was the direction I was hoping to go in.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #8
Denisebme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Dragons
Just because YOU may not see it being discussed does not mean that it hasn't been. For you to insinuate that it has been "forgotten" is an insult to everyone that has been infected by Adeno.

You claim to want to spread and share information about the virus and promote awareness of it among breeders and hobbyists alike. Sorry, Karen but I just can't see it.... All I see is you wanting to know who has it and who doesn't. Are they breeding or aren't they? I understand wanting to know that information but it pales in comparison to educating others and promoting awareness of the virus.

I have spent countless hours on the phone with Biologists, Virologists, Vets, Breeders, Colleges and Universities and many casual owners. I have dedicated hours upon hours to reading forums and dedicating time to reading vet manuals and articles about Adeno. One of best friends had her entire life turned upside down by this virus and we talk almost daily about adeno and what we can do, along with others, to help educate people about adeno. Hidden? Unspeakable? I think NOT!!! How many people have called you crying hysterically because they got a positive test result, how many time have you been feeding your dragons and burst into tears because your scared all of your dragons were sick.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HELP, KAREN? Offer something to the fold or stop criticizing everyone else for their lack of "mentioning" adeno.

You asked me in another thread if I have tested yet. Yes, I have. I had one positive result come back. That dragon went to a good friend of mine where it will live out the remainder of it's life spoiled and happy. My other dragons all came back negative. I too, have destroyed an entire clutch of eggs due to concerns over this virus. I later found out that the parents are negative but given the circumstances I believe I did the right thing. I hope to have another clutch from the parents soon but who knows.....

Want to see what I have done in my very limited spare time, Karen? www.rebeldragons.com Click the link front and center on the top of my page. It's a work in progress but it should prove to you that not everyone is afraid to speak about adeno and share information and knowledge. It's not perfect but at least I am trying to do something positive instead of criticizing others.
Great, great job Mike.
I've also tested and been very open about my results and have been busy moving forward. For us, this is very personal, it is our friends involved, people we know and have done business with, its very real and I don't see any responsible people trying to sweep this under the rug.
Yeah, a lot of us got tired about the fighting and fingerpointing on some of the threads, and most of us ARE focused on doing something about it instead of just arguing and pointing fingers.
I've also been working on updating my webpage, but we've all got lives and sometimes other things intrude on our best intentions.
One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was tell a really good friend of mine that a dragon I got from her tested positive, it broke my heart.
You've done a good thing Mike. One thing that people don't see is that some of our webpages get hundreds of hits a month, and the BEST thing we can do is get information up where people can see it.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:33 PM   #9
Drache613
Great

Hello,

I think that is an awesome start, Mike. Luckily, we do not have any adeno positive dragons, but I know quite a few people who do.
The more we can put all of the information together, hyperlinks, testing centers, etc, the better off the dragons will be.

Tracie

Old 03-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
ladyknite
I'd like to thank you for the great info on your personal sites. i realize how much time and thought you had to put into what you wanted to make a point. You offered information, testing contacts, links........and unbiased information.
But I must confess...........sadly.......I didn't know you had info listed on your sites until I was directed there. Maybe I missed that in a post somewhere. It's totally possible. However, I think anyone with information on their site should feel free to share. It's not often that google doesn't pick it up.....but always the smallest sliver of a possibility.

Hopefully this thread will push forward to more information and more links.

Thanks so much again for taking that time to do such a good job at informing the community on such a touchy subject.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!