Questions concerning starting a Herp Society/Club in North Central FL - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
snakechaarmer
Wink Questions concerning starting a Herp Society/Club in North Central FL

Hi all -

After asking around the area for a bit, I've realized that what used to be the Gainesville, FL Herp Society is probably not ever again going to exist. From what I was told I guess the group dispersed years ago while I was still living in Jacksonville, FL..and someone tried to start it again, and failed, but this could be misinformation. I don't really know all the details as to what happened, why it's not here anymore, etc..

I guess the bottom line is - I want to re-start a Herp Society or Club for the Gainesville, FL area and surrounding cities (Chiefland, Trenton, Alachua, etc). Is there anyone even here that would be interested in starting such a group that lives in the area?

I also don't really know much about starting a group except you need a charter, rules, funds/fundraisers, etc..And I think that the bigger you get the possibility of a non-profit organization exists, but I'm pretty clueless about all of that

I guess I'd just like to meet more herpers in my area and it seems like nobody is taking any initiative to try and band back together or make some kind of a group, and I think it's an invaluable resource and way for people to make friends and get help and become more educated, so..

Thoughts?

If this isn't allowed in this forum, or would be better suited someplace else, please let me know. Thanks

Old 08-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
I have recently started a herp society here in Mobile, AL, although we welcome members from nearby states/counties in NW Florida, as well as east MS. Its called the Gulf Coast Association of Reptile Keepers.

For now, don't worry so much about charters, by-laws, etc. As the society grows in numbers and organization, that kind of stuff will get done as the needs arise. Focus on getting fellow herpers involved with it, and establishing a meeting location.

As far as locations go, look into nature centers, colleges, etc. Most of these places are usually willing to offer their facilities for little or no cost, especially if you stress your focus on conservation of native herps as well as captive stuff.

Advertising is simple enough. Most vet offices and pet stores are okay with putting up flyers and what not. After all, you're just an organization group, no "competition" to their business.

Once you get a name down, start the paperwork as far as getting a non-profit org status. That may take some time and a little $$ (I started GCARK in May and we still haven't got ours!)...but then again, we have little or no expenses. Right now, we don't charge any form of membership fees or anything. The place we meet at allows us there for free, and most speakers are more than willing to come and speak for free.

We do have GCARK shirts that people can buy, but that's no requirement to be an active member.
-----------

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be more than happy to help you out (I'm still learning myself). It's definitely a little effort here and there, but if you're passionate about it, and you got a dozen or so people who feel the same way, its not too hard to get things going.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
rcpreis3
Looking to move east? I'd love sumthin like this in Daytona. Of course it would be nice to have a herp vet too...

Old 09-19-2010, 06:05 AM   #4
psychoprimate84
I def would be willing to drive to Gainesville for something like that. Only 45 min drive from me!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Wolfy-hound
If I'm able, I'd love to participate also. I'm not particularly a "people person" but I love all of my herps! I'm just outside that area, but within driving distance depending on when you hold meetings.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
snakechaarmer
Thanks for the interest and help, guys. I've taken into account everything that MDC_Ophiuchus mentioned, and I think that my friend Jeff and I are probably going to make up some flyers, and give them to you guys to spread around if you like and also we'll put them up around ourselves - It won't be like the "Gainesville" society - I was thinking something like "North Central FL" - I was gonna put stuff in like Ft. White and Ocala and Chiefland and so on. I'd have to pick a central location (or as central of one as possible) to maybe hold meetings, and as soon as I get enough interest maybe we can all plan a weekend to get together either at my home or a location to hold us all to discuss plans? I'm really not sure how to proceed but I think as soon as we can maybe find 15 or so people we can maybe start something!

I'm excited!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
annmikeal
I live in Alachua for a long time, and I always wished there was a herp society that was close by... I know they used to have the one by the college, but I never went to that one

Old 10-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
snakechaarmer
I have a few people here and locally that have said they would be interested. I'm just not sure where to go from here on trying to find a meeting place and time to see what everybody wants/is interested in.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #9
snakemami
You can also check out the newly formed North Florida Herp Society, which is not the same as the Jax Herp Society.

www.northfloridaherpsociety.com

Old 10-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
snakechaarmer
Thanks, and good luck up in Jax - I'm hoping we can get something started for the locals down here in the Gainesville/Ocala area, though

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
herpers, herping