Bad Guy Chris Applegate=Beware! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
DavidBeard
Chris Applegate=Beware!

If Chris Applegate from Ohio contacts you and promises to buy animals from you, do NOT hold them for him unless you receive a deposit or some sort of compensation. Also, if you buy animals from him, treat them for mites! (A friend of mine purchased a snake from him at the last KY show and I recently had to help her treat it for mites...its the only snake she had, so theres no doubt they came from him).

Chris was supposed to buy over $500 worth of tarantulas from me at a recent reptile show in Kentucky. We had been in communication via e-mail about the spiders and Chris promised to buy them from me if I held onto them for him (he had purchased animals from me in the past, and held up his end of the deal, so I figured he would honor his word again), he would pick them up at the next local show he would attend.

Well, as the show's date neared, I tried to get into contact w/Chris to no avail....a couple days before the show, Chris sends me an e-mail stating that he is having legal troubles (due to another botched deal with a KY show vendor where Chris jerked them around for more than 1k in goods and animals) and he would "try" to make it to the show to pick up the animals he agreed to purchase from me several weeks back.

The date of the show comes and goes, and I hear no more from Chris. He never purchased the animals he said he would and I was stuck with a large amount of livestock that was taken off the market under the assumption he was going to buy them from me.....now, nobody forced me to hold the animals for him, I know.....but is there no honor in today's society? Is it too much to ask for people to hold up their end of an agreed upon deal? I don't think so.

Heres a couple e-mails proving that Chris agreed to buy the spiders from me....(Chris' words are in bold to make it easier to read, I hope)

From:"Chris Applegate" <applegate@go-concepts.com>Add sender to Contacts
To: dbeard84@yahoo.com
I can shoot you some money next week so you know I won't back out! lol

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beard" <dbeard84@yahoo.com>
To: "Chris Applegate" <applegate@go-concepts.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 10:35 PM
Subject: Re: Re:

>
> Its no big deal man...you can just shoot me a part of the money (whatever works for you) if you want, or you can just get them in full at the show. Doesn't matter to me.
>

What about the P. pederseni. Those aren't on there are they?

Would it be a problem to send you cash next week? I am really strapped and
don't get paid for a week. I can send you some money to hold until next
week.. Let me know if that is a problem..

Chris

----- Original Message -----
To: "Chris Applegate" <applegate@go-concepts.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 9:13 PM
Subject: Re: Re:

> The T. gigas and Chevron are both new world arboreals...easy to keep, but
> very fast. They're pretty impressive as adults.
>
> The total for everything would be $550, so how does $400 sound?
>
> --- On Tue, 3/3/09, Chris Applegate <applegate@go-concepts.com> wrote:
>
>> From: Chris Applegate <applegate@go-concepts.com>
>> Subject: Re: Re:
>> To: dbeard84@yahoo.com
>> Date: Tuesday, March 3, 2009, 8:56 PM
>> Can you tell me about these though?
>> -2"+ Tapinauchenius gigas (Orange Tree Spider)-$40
>> -2"+ Psalmopeous cambridgei (Trinidad Chevron)-$35
>>
>>
>> Here is a list that I will take..
>> -4" Brachypelma vagans (Mexican Red Rump)-$50
>> -4" female Ceratogyrus marshalli (Horned Baboon)-$60
>> -4" female Chilobrachys huahini (Huahini Bird
>> Spider)-$45
>> -4" female Pterinochilus murinus (Starburst
>> Baboon)-$30
>> -2" female Cyclosternum fasciatum (Tiger Rump)-$40
>> -3" Nhandu colloratovillosus (Brazilian Banded)-$30
>> -2"+ Tapinauchenius gigas (Orange Tree Spider)-$40
>> -2"+ Psalmopeous cambridgei (Trinidad Chevron)-$35
>> -2" Citharischius crawshayi (King Baboon)-$45
>> -Six 1.25"-1.5" Poecilotheria regalis (Indian
>> Ornamental)-$25 each
>> -Five 0.75" Pterinochilus murinus (Starburst
>> Baboons)-$5 each

>>

Old 03-26-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBeard View Post
A friend of mine purchased a snake from him at the last KY show and I recently had to help her treat it for mites...its the only snake she had, so theres no doubt they came from him
Gotta name her David, you know that.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
Fangthane
I had one successful transaction with Chris where we met up at the Hamburg, Pa reptile show and conducted a trade. Everything went well. The snakes were nice and healthy and he seemed like a decent kid. The second time I attempted to do business with him didn't go quite so well. We had arranged to meet at Hamburg again but he didn't show up. Never bothered to e-mail or call and let me know he couldn't make it. I know sometimes **** happens but a simple call would have been nice and would have saved me a pointless 2 hour round-trip drive.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:42 AM   #4
DavidBeard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley View Post
Gotta name her David, you know that.
Her name is Stacie Decker. I do not know if she will participate in this thread though.

And before anybody asks, yes, I have let Chris know about this thread.

Apex, that sounds JUST like Chris. I know of more than a few people he has no-showed on after agreeing to buy animals from, including myself.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:01 AM   #5
Abby
Similar Experience...

I too had a similar experience. Our first deal went perfect, no complaints. He has contacted me several times about various animals since then and never keeps in touch. I guess this is just his style, but I could do without it...

Old 03-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #6
Fangthane
It sucks that your friend got stuck dealing with mites. I have nothing against "flippers" but I know he's not at all opposed to selling a snake that he's had for literally a few minutes. After I had dropped the snakes off at his table he went outside with me to help bag a big anaconda I had brought with me. When we got back to his table his mother had already sold one of the snakes I had traded to him. He made it a point act like he was mad at her for selling it, but it wasn't very convincing.
I'm not very well versed on how the business side of this hobby is supposed to work..but it seems like you should KNOW your animal is healthy and mite free before flipping it. For all he knew, the snakes I gave him could have had severe URI and been infested with mites. They were venomous and in tupperware containers so it wouldn't really have been possible to pull them out and check them right there at the show.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
DavidBeard
Honestly, mites are not a HUGE deal to me, personally. I know they happen....its part of the hobby sometimes. But my friend is fairly new to the herp scene and discovering mites on her snake was not a pleasant experience, especially considering she (and I) trusted Chris and even considered him a friend.

But as you said, Dan....if you're going to "flip" animals, at least make sure they are healthy and represented honestly.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
lpcad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexPredatorBoids View Post
I'm not very well versed on how the business side of this hobby is supposed to work..but it seems like you should KNOW your animal is healthy and mite free before flipping it.
I couldn't agree with you more. There are way too many out there just trying to make a quick buck. I'm not saying that it is wrong to make money at this, but c'mon, people are at these shows or in these "pet stores" trusting that they are buying a healthy animal not a sick animal that they have to take back and forth to the vet and/or watch die. Shouldn't you know what you're selling?

Old 03-26-2009, 01:46 AM   #9
versus_terminus
Mites are the devil. I took in a burm knowing he had them because the 16 year old girl who took it in was in over her head. This was my third time dealing with them, and I stand buy my statement, Mites Are The Devil.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:50 AM   #10
DavidBeard
If caught early, they are easily treated. But thats no excuse to spread them due to shady business ethics.

I just don't understand why some people feel the need to burn so many bridges needlessly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!