Tiny White Bug On Snake? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
michaelaberkowitz
Tiny White Bug On Snake?

I was taking out my first and only snake at the moment, Clementine (a one year old pueblan milk snake) and I noticed a teeny tiny white bug crawling on her. I rubbed it off and killed it, but I'm really worried about it! I know mites are black and that's what I've always looked out for but I've never heard of white mites on snakes. I read that it could be wood mites, she is on aspen substrate, but is there any possibility that it's dangerous? I'd also love any advice anyone has on what to do

Old 10-01-2018, 12:58 AM   #2
Croghans Reptiles
Only white bugs I've had problems with were on mealworms. i baked their bedding at 140, removed the old bedding and washed the bugs as best I could, and then their containers, and finally used vinegar to wipe it out. also tried freezing them but found out that their eggs can stay dormant until optimal conditions come around. Best advice I can offer is a thorough cleaning and a good bedding bake should clear up and mite problems you have. giving your snake a wipe down might not be a bad idea either.

Best of luck,
Connor

Old 10-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
Helenthereef
Try Googling "Wood Mites", they are white and eat rotting wood. Bad for your window frame, non-harmful to snakes. Snake mites are black.

https://www.hunker.com/12238575/how-...-of-wood-mites

Old 10-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
GHC Exotics
I agree with above... its probably wood mites... depending on substrate and enclosure type... usually when cleaning out the cages and stuff, i just go ahead for safe measure and spray the bedding with some "screw worm" spray and knock out the potential of having extra creepy crawlies ... but again, those arent really harmful so to speak

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
colubrid, milk snake