Petco: Who Breeds for them? - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Leopard Geckos

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 04:25 PM   #51
gemdreamer
Just a Little Info !!

I am new to buying and selling, and I was very intersted in knowing where my local shops got their pets, so I would not get from the same place.

I asked the Petco close to me, where they get there reptiles. The response I got was "CalZoo" they guy told me that their animals are always sick and they have to send them back.

But I have to agree, with some of the posts Ive seen. There have been alot of nice Geckos latley, recently I seen a couple of Patternless geckos there.

LOL the guy told me it was Jungle, I told him No, they are Patternless.

Old 02-22-2005, 04:42 PM   #52
RogerProws
I worked there until about 6 months ago, for about 2 years. Leos, cresteds, and cornsnakes all came through Gourmet Rodent, that is company wide. RT had a contract with them a while ago, but it ran out and they switched to gourmet. They also get waxy monkey leg tree frogs from Sandfire dragon ranch. The rest came from calzoo, although it changed constantly! When I stared it was through Tropaquatics, but they were horrible! So they switched to Lassco (sp?). They weren't bad but I think overpriced so they went to calzoo just before I left. I have to say that from the horror stories I have heard from ex-calzoo employees I wouldn't exactly reccomend buying from them, I know a girl who worked there about 8 or 9 years ago. She saw WC kingsnakes stuffed about 25-30 into a 50gallon rubbermaid, they would eat each other, but sold fast enough that it was still more profitable that way. I can also say that with Lassco was the only time we didn't get frequent problems with mites in our WC stock. The Utah store just switched over to a local supplier and I have noticed the quality of animal raise drastically! However, most stores nationally are prob. still with Calzoo. Anyway, thats to the best of my knowledge. I also think the Chameleons went from a breeder, but don't remember who.

Old 02-22-2005, 04:45 PM   #53
Wilomn
Petcos are an interesting place. I was in one not too long ago to get some dogfood. My 12 year old daughter was with me and we, naturally, went to look at the reptiles.

They had some very nice looking cal. kings, about 6 or 8 of them all in one cage. My daughter looked up and asked, "don't kingsnakes eat other snakes?" I answered in the affirmative and was prepared to get my food.

She, being the kindhearted sweetheart that she is, totally innocent of the STUPIDITY of most petshop employees then said, "Dad, you should tell them that kingsnakes eat other snakes."

Having been down this road MANY times in the past I told her to find the manager and tell him herself and see what he did.

She did. He walked over to the cage, looked at the snakes and said, "they're fine, we keep them that way all the time. They won't eat eachother if you feed them."

She then looked up and said,"You KNEW he would say that, didn't you?"

I just smiled and nodded and tried to explain that people in positions of authority, that are supposed to be "experts" in a given field, do not appreciate having apparent laymen correcting their errors.

I wonder how fat the big one that's left will get on his siblings.

Oh well. They're great on drygoods anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread