Here we go again - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
EricWI
Here we go again

Rooney Introduces Bill to Protect Everglades, Communities from Dangerous Imported Snakes

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Rep. Tom Rooney (FL-16) today introduced legislation to protect the Everglades and surrounding communities from dangerous, imported snakes like African rock pythons and boa constrictors. Rooney's bill would restrict the importation of specific breeds of snakes, which continue to cause extensive damage to the Everglades, into the United States.

"Banning the importation of these dangerous snakes is critical to the survival of the Everglades and the surrounding ecosystems," said Rooney. "These invasive predators are causing severe damage to our native wildlife, and they need to be eradicated.

"People buy these snakes as pets, but as they grow larger and more threatening, many owners soon realize that they cannot care for them safely, and they release them into the wild. Unfortunately, our ecosystems cannot accommodate these massive predators, and our native wildlife suffers."

Over the last decade, tens of thousands of Burmese Pythons were imported into the United States. To date, approximately 1,000 Burmese Pythons have been removed from the Everglades. Recently, Vero Beach Police Animal Control Officers captured a seven-foot-long boa constrictor in a resident's back yard.

Rooney's bill would add the following species of snakes to the "Lacey Act," effectively banning them from importation into the United States: Burmese python, northern African python, southern African python, reticulated python, green anaconda, yellow anaconda, Beni or Bolivian python, DeSchauensee's anaconda, and boa constrictor.
http://www.thestatecolumn.com/state_...ported-snakes/

Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Jasin
These politicians keep passing this bill down the line, once another lobbyist dumps enough money in their pocket! These people are pathetic, with no regard for facts.....will these idiots ever stop!!!???

Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Helenthereef
I don't get why they don't make DUMPING the snakes illegal rather than importing them.

I presume a large snake could be micro-chipped and traced if they really feel this is a problem???

Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
CarolinaClassicDragons
Great idea Helen!!

Old 01-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
GHC Exotics
Nah.. couldnt do that.. it would make way to much sense doesnt it?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Lucille
Banning import would not do much, as the snakes reproduce easily enough here. For the same reason, chipping would not really solve the problem since captive born baby snakes would not necessarily be chipped.
Making the dumping of snakes illegal sounds good but enforcement would present problems. No one is going to own up to owning a stray Burm that they dumped, and proof that the person owned that particular snake would not be cost efficient.
I think one thing that might eventually occur to frustrated landowners in the area is to try to control the problem using biological means such as IBD. That would be a disaster for boid owners.
Hopefully, landowners, those concerned with the ecosystem, and boid owners can work together to find a less drastic solution.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
CarolinaClassicDragons
Not really following why you think it wouldnt be feasible to microchip captive born pythons and boas. I have several that are chipped. Doesnt cost much and the breeder should just pass the cost onto the buyer. As far as restricted importation goes, may not be such a bad thing. This would really decrease the supply and increase the demand which could increase the cost. This in itself would decrease the amount of impulse buying done at herp shows, online, etc. Reputable breeders could then start to make decent profit margins. Some small reform measures could put this thing to rest (or at least get it off the front page) and allow hobbyist to continue keeping the animals they love instead of outright bans being put into place.

Fact is, most of the large burmese snakes that everyone keeps talking about in S. Florida, werent released into the wild by private owners. Has anyone seen any recent counts of how many they are finding now after all the cold snaps in 2009/2010 and again this year?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaClassicDragons View Post
Not really following why you think it wouldnt be feasible to microchip captive born pythons and boas.
That's because I did not say that. It is inexpensive and not complicated. But, like chipping dogs and cats, many people simply don't do it, and for various reasons would not necessarily do it no matter how attractive the idea is in theory.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
CalebHarris
I dont see why they are trying to do anything else, havent they already banned ownership of these kinds of snakes in the affected area, to all but licensed owners? The concerns are legitimate, but, the fact is that the possible affected areas in the United States are quite limited. There is no way that any of my boas would survive in northern utah where I live, even in the spring or fall.
I liked your point carolina classic dragons, I never thought of the possible benefit of restricting importation.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!