All Ohio Reptile Show- Vendors oppinions wanted - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 12-02-2002, 05:19 PM   #11
Arboreals of the Rainforest
Billy

Quote:
Still one thing to consider is this: Are any of these animals that people are bringing in for " show and trade" healthy and/or can you trust that these people will respectively NOT bring in any sick, outside animals?
Unfortunately, you cant even trust some of the vendors with this one.

Quote:
It is quite irresponsible for the Ohio show owners to allow outside animals into the shows. One sick animal is all it takes to infest a whole collection. Also, their motives may mean well, but you can't control other people's intentions.
Again, you cant even trust some of the dealers with this one. But I think the line about being irresponsible is totally incorrect. How can any show sponsor guarantee that all the "vendors" animals are totally healthy? Let alone the carry-ins? You are making a HUGE assumption in your remarks that ALL vendors can be trusted. Simply look at all the posts here and see how many bad experiences with dealers are posted on a daily basis.

Scott said it very well when he said,
Quote:
As with any show... no matter the size.. health concerns are always a big issue.. and.. I don't any one show could be considered 100% safe.

Old 12-02-2002, 06:22 PM   #12
evansnakes
I was a vendor at the Columbus show for about ten years. I no longer do the show because for me it just does not make sense to compete with my friends on the same sales to the same people year after year. It gets old when you know everybody.

I would say that one misconception that I have seen in this thread is that a vendor will have higher quality and more healthy animals than the people through the door. I have really been very unhappy and very vocal this season about show promoters all over the country putting a priority on taking money for tables over screening for quality of animals. I have been to several shows, both large and small this year that I was disgusted at the super poor quality of animals on tables! I have seen close to dead and actual dead animals being displayed for sale on vendor tables! Ethics and quality have taken a back seat to $!

I have also been extremely dissapointed at the volume of imported animals at captive bred shows. I have no problem with imports and time to time buy imports myself if they are something that I want, BUT I have an enormous problem when show promoters allow vendors to pass low quality wild caught animals as captive bred at their shows! It is a black eye on the industry!

The Columbus show does not hide or misrepresent anything. It is wide open. You can sell wc or cb. That is fine.

The issue with the quality of all shows and all animals at shows is directly a result of the vendors that you have at that show. It should be the promoter working to keep the show clean, but most don't take the time. Keep in mind though, just like any other show, Columbus has a vast majority of great people with good animals. Then there are a couple slobs with total garbage! Hopefully a buyer can spot that difference and make the right choices if the show won't do it for them. Evan Stahl

Old 12-02-2002, 09:13 PM   #13
DISCERN
First, Seamus, for you to say I am ignorant is immature and, well....ignorant. Cheap shots are for kids, please be more mature in your posts. I will not even treat you as the same, hopefully setting an example for you.
I do agree that we need wild caughts for breeding purposes. To say that we don't doesn't make sense.
I will admit that my assumptions about imports and wild caughts are based by my experience. What I have seen, heard, and seen again has not been good. BUT, as Tim said, there are cases of captive animals being sick as well, and cases of bad captive breeders. I did not debate that. My point was, as a whole, the comparison of captive bred vs. imports. If imports and wild caughts were so great, healthy, and posed no problems, then why don't people just buy that, and ignore captive bred animals?
I agree with Kelli H, about the show situation. Her and her husband Steve are great breeders and an example of class acts in this business.

Take care!

Billy

Old 12-02-2002, 09:35 PM   #14
Arboreals of the Rainforest
Icky sticky........
A debate over CB, CBB vrs WC.

That's another topic for another long weekend. And both sides have some valid points. I currently own both and see the value in having both but that's a risk I am willing to take. The dealer IMO makes all the difference in TRUST and the HEALTH of the animals. Not to mention how they deal with a problem should one arise.

I too wish they would go CB or CBB only. But unfortunately, that's not going to happen any time soon. It would be nice if they did an alternating month with CB, CBB and anything goes the next.

Carry-ins are not common place and very few really do it. It's hardly worth banning a show IMO. And even less than getting all out of whack about. But to each his own.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!