Boa Morph Possibilities? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
ciderinc
Boa Morph Possibilities?

Hey all,
Let me introduce myself, my name is Chuck, I have been collecting and breeding for about 16 years. I have never attempted to breed anything but normals and have been very successful with a number of different species (Corns, Retics, Burms, Boas etc..) . I am now in a better position to invest and start a Boa morph project, so I am.
Recently I saw a sub-adult sunglow Boa and I fell inlove with this morph. I have decided that this would be a worth while investment and a fun project. I currently have an early 07 Kahl Albino male. His mother was albino het for snow and his father was anerytheristic. This is where the gene pool gets muddy to me. So I have a few questions.

1) Besides Albino what other genes may be present in my Boa?

2) If I am going to make a sunglow Boa what morph of snake do I need to pair him up with?

3) What other offspring can I expect in the litter once he is paired up?

4) Does anyone know a good reference for studying the science of mixing and matching genes?

Any advice from the professionals here on fauna would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles B. Cardell (DBA CIDER, Inc)

Old 01-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
hhmoore
1) Given the parentage you listed, your boa is not an albino...
Accepting that he IS, and that the other information you provided is correct, the father would have had to be anerythristic het for albino. If that is the case, yours is albino het snow (snow is a combination of two recessive traits, albinism + anerythrism).
2) In order to produce a sunglow boa, you would have to pair him with a hypomelanistic boa which is het albino (aka DH sunglow)
3) In that pairing, you will get normals, hypos, albinos, sunglows...of course, the normals and hypos will all be het albino. If his genetics are as you describe, the offspring would be 50% het anery...meaning that, statistically, 50% of the babies would bet het anery. You would not get aneries, snows, or moonglows unless you purchased a hypo DH snow (aka triple het moonglow)
4) For mixing and matching traits, you need to understand how those traits are carried and demonstrated...there are a couple of good texts, if you want to go that route, but the simplest way is to visit geneticswizard.com. The glossary will have definitions of the various types of traits--you will need to know about recessive, dominant, and codominant traits. Then, once you know which traits are which, you can plug them into the wizard and get your answers. There are a couple of sites which list and explain boa morphs, but I'd have to go looking for them...I suspect that somebody will be able to list them before I return.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
ciderinc
Absolutely!

I am very interested in any literature on the subject that either you or anyone else could provide. Thank you in advance.

The Hypo DH snow looks like an interesting mixture with mine, but would it produce sunglows as well? It seems like it would.

BTW how do I insert a picture of my boy in here?

Chuck
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
ciderinc
Nevermind

I didnt the pic in the preview

Chuck

Old 01-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
hhmoore
The text that was recommended to me: Elron and Stansfield's "Schaum's Introduction to Genetics". I purchased a used copy online, and found it very helpful.
If you want to delve into genetics, that would be the way to go - there is a lot of misinformation, and misuse of terminology, to be found on forums...better to get the story straight from the start, so you can translate the mistakes into something that actually works

Old 01-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
Gotta concur with every word Harald said.

But there are some places on line that you can also get a grasp. One that comes to mind. (More geared towards corn snakes, but the genetics info, how it works, is on time.) Mr. Pritzel knows his stuff.

SerpWidgets

Rick

Old 01-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
AncientDNA
For basic genetics, I'm partial to this website I just came across.
http://www.naturalselectionreptiles.com/Genetics.html
I'd forgotten about serpwidgets; that's a good one too.

As for Genetics Wizard, I find it a bit difficult to slog through. Great for complex crosses tho.
I put together a much simpler punnett generator on my website. You will need Microsoft Excel to use it though.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
ciderinc
Thanks Alot!

Hey,
Thanks for all the info I have pouring through all of that information, it seems like for days now. I think I have a better grasp on how the genetics work so thank you all very much for the info and great references, My book should be in this week comming up so I will have more to read.
Another question if you would entertain it, Is there a reference to which genes are Recessive, Dominate, Co-Dominate etc...? That would be a very handy tool to have.
Again I cant thank you enough.

Chuck

Old 01-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
hhmoore
http://boalist.com/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!