Getting a site hosted - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > New or Updated Websites and Web Resources

Notices

New or Updated Websites and Web Resources General notices about a new website or a newly found one worthy of note. You can introduce your new website here as well.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
Getting a site hosted

Was wondering, how you go about this. I am getting close to finished with my site, and want to host it somewhere independently from my Yahoo account.

I reserved the name already, and it is being parked for free by GoDaddy. So the name is already registered, but I have all the files on my PC. Unfortunately I had to make it with FrontPage 2003. I know it's not the best software, but it's what I had.

I am still tweaking and changing my mind about stuff, so, I wanted to know, how difficult it is to publish the edited things once it's up and running?

Any help would be great!
Rick

Old 02-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
varnyard
I don't know what type of site you have, but if you are going to have forums, then GoDaddy would be a great place to start, you can go month to month or even by the year. The Hosting starts at 4.99 a month. This does not include the domain, that is about 9.99 a year through GoDaddy. This is the one that is hosted through GoDaddy:
www.TeguTalk.com

If you are just doing a site to advertise, like this: www.Varnyard-Herps-Inc.com

You can go through www.FreeWebs.com and go pro for about 26.00 a year. and 9.99 through GoDaddy for the domain.

I will also add, GoDaddy has awesome 24/7 phone support.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Bobby,
Just a site. A place to sell my animals when I have some for sale. No forums for me thank you. LOL

I was just wondering the process involved, etc. I did think about godaddy though. Just thought I'd look around first.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
varnyard
Well then www.Freewebs.com would be the way to go. It is easy to use. You can try a fee one and then upgrade it after you get it all set up for 26.00 a year. You would still need to get the domain for 9.99 a year from GoDaddy. GoDaddy will also help you change the address over to freewebs for you.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
Well then www.Freewebs.com would be the way to go. It is easy to use. You can try a fee one and then upgrade it after you get it all set up for 26.00 a year. You would still need to get the domain for 9.99 a year from GoDaddy. GoDaddy will also help you change the address over to freewebs for you.
I'm a bit lost I think. I paid GoDaddy for 2 yrs for that domain name already. Just haven't published a site yet. What am I missing?

Old 02-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
I'm a bit lost I think. I paid GoDaddy for 2 yrs for that domain name already. Just haven't published a site yet. What am I missing?
Your not missing anything, you can use freewebs to make the site, then you are going to change the address to get there to the domain you bought. GoDaddy will help you point it to that site. Just like mine, the address is www.freewebs/varnyard something. But I use the domain I bought from GoDaddy www.Varnyard-Herps-Inc.com I just contacted GoDaddy with the old address and told them I wanted my Domain to be used to point to that site. They will help you and change the address and point your domain in the right direction.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
TripleMoonsExotic
Rick, you need to find a web host that supports FrontPage extension. I just logged into mine and my host does. I'm not sure why it's so specific (I don't use FrontPage) but for some reason it won't work unless you have it.

http://www.duoservers.com/?r=hiphopsmurf

If you do not go with the same host your domain is at, you will need to change the DNS to point to your web host. I would look and see if GoDaddy support FrontPage first, it would mean less steps for you to get your web site up and running (no messing with the DNS).

Old 02-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
personally, i would never host a site that also holds my domain name. but. thats just me.

There are MANY good good hosting services you can find for relatively cheap.

Lunarpages is a good one and another that comes to mind was hostgator.com

search around and read reviews on all the services out there before deciding on one.

I personally use Aplus.net, but i wouldnt recommend them to someone else only because of their bad reputation. ( they had the month by month billing that i wanted, and not all out pay at once for a full year) I havent had an issue with them personally, and its been nearly a year or... close to. and they have Cnet reviews as well. But. again, not sure what the interweb says about them now. for me... theyre alright, but they might not be for others.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
Thank you ladies.

I was planning on looking around. I do believe in supporting, or at least giving a chance, to the little guy too. But I still have a bit of time to shop and read around. Just barely started looking into it.

Thanks again.
Rick

Old 02-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
WebSlave
*cough* *cough* Ahem...... http://www.FaunaNet.com......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!