Escaped snake kills two children in New Brunswick - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #41
DesertRat73
Confirmation the snake was placed with him by the govt. http://globalnews.ca/news/769386/mis...cean-employee/

Old 08-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #42
Herps Alive!
There has allegedly been reports that these were carbon monoxide deaths mad that the bites were post mortem, but all I have is 32d hand info and cannot find confirmation. Will keep digging.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #43
JColt
I would think carbon monoxide can be ruled out. It would have been throughout house. The father and other child would have at least been feeling effects and snake which was in same room and on the floor probably would have been dead.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #44
Herps Alive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
I would think carbon monoxide can be ruled out. It would have been throughout house. The father and other child would have at least been feeling effects and snake which was in same room and on the floor probably would have been dead.
I hear you, nut this is not necessarily true. If the father and other child were in a room with an open window, for instance.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #45
KORBIN5895
So you think this guy had a ventilation pipe in his arp cage that was full of carbon monoxide? And that a snake that use heat signature to home in on its prey attacked TWO cold no prey items? Sure seems legit to me......

I wish the giant camp would stop trying to explain this away with asinine theories that makes the remainder of us looks like complete idiots too. They need to accept that this was done by the arp and that their vested interests may be hurt because of this.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #46
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin2act View Post
Weird that this has been somewhat under reported in all the stories if in fact true. Have you ever been tagged by a python? Or seen someone tagged by one? Ever notice how much bleeding takes place even from an average sized snake? Now take one the size of this Afroc and think of the injury it would cause if it bit you. Ever seen in some of those python hunter shows when a guy gets tagged by a big boy, they need stiches, they bleed a ton, have gaping holes in their flesh, and it is beyond obvious they were bitten. So if this python killed those kids to eat, it would stand to reason that the scene would almost be a blood bath you would think. Even if bitten through clothes. Most people sleep in pretty light clothing for bed and not a pair of jeans, but even with jeans I would think a big pythons teeth would go right through and cause a ton of bleeding. I would think that would be a huge thing mentioned in these reports, but there is hardly anything. Something just seems really off with this whole ordeal.
Talk about over-dramatized and flat out inaccurate...you should join the media campaigns.
Yes, defensive bites can result in (deeply) torn/cut skin, due to the mechanics of teeth raking across flesh. When they bite and constrict, it is very different - the teeth are embedded, and the snake is wrapped tightly enough to restrict blood flow. Once dead, there would be relatively little bleeding from the puncture. wounds.
That said, without full details, speculation from the side that doesn't want to believe amounts to nothing more than throwing out options.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #47
Herps Alive!
It's now a murder investigation.
http://www.fox.com.au/fox-news-feed/...investigation/

Old 08-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #48
KORBIN5895
That is five days old.....

Could you link to an actual news site to substantiate this?

Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #49
JColt
It's fairly obvious what happened even though it is remarkable it happened that way.

Even if something came out now it wouldn't matter anyway. The damage has been done. The average reader with little or no herp knowledge will remember almost every glamorized or false info in this story. The politicians will remember even more.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #50
lovin2act
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Talk about over-dramatized and flat out inaccurate...you should join the media campaigns.
Yes, defensive bites can result in (deeply) torn/cut skin, due to the mechanics of teeth raking across flesh. When they bite and constrict, it is very different - the teeth are embedded, and the snake is wrapped tightly enough to restrict blood flow. Once dead, there would be relatively little bleeding from the puncture. wounds.
That said, without full details, speculation from the side that doesn't want to believe amounts to nothing more than throwing out options.
Seriously dude? Thanks for the lame insult. Join the media campaigns?? It's neato condescending comments like that which make for fun threads to read when less than grown up people fight back with words in defense of themselves. I will take a higher road than what you chose there and say I should defintely not join those media campaigns and leave it at that, if you can. You as a leader here should write and use words more becoming of one rather than instigating an angry defensive reply from a person who is ON YOUR SIDE!

Ok so why am I flat out inaccurate that there would be a lot of bleeding once the snake let go of it's bite? Especially one of that size? Having been nailed by a very large burmese back in my youth, a feed reponse bite got me bleeding all over the place profusely. Even a small boa has gotten me to a bloody mess from missing the rat and getting my wrist before I invested in a nice set of very long tongs . Are you possibly saying that due to the kids being disceased that their bodies were no longer pumping blood and therefore once the snake let go of it's bite which then unplugged the holes that it's teeth created in the skin, that there would a lot less blood loss than due to that versus the same wound on a live person? That makes good sense then if so, though maybe not for certain. But I can see the point that I think you were trying to communicate in your text and agree there would be a difference possibly. I was simply throwing out some thoughts in my other post because I have seen and experienced first hand what it is to be bitten by a large python when it missed the bunny and got me instead.

Old thoughts now though, looks like the story holds it's water and sadly we as a community will have to take the heat for it. Hopefully we can all come together responsibly, show strongly that we do not condone irresponsible reptile keepers, and just be plain better for our own sake and for the love we have of these animals before we lose the right to enjoy them completely.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!