Walking a fine line, interested in yoru input. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
Herps Alive!
FWIW- This is our current initial screening document:
Your Name:
Birthdate:
Address:
Phone Number:
Exotic Vet’s Name and #:
Is this a new vet, or a vet you have previously seen?:
Why are you looking to bring home a new pet?
Are there any children in the household?
Do you have previous experience with reptiles? Explain:
What pets currently reside in your household?
What sort of interactions do you expect your new pet to have with your existing pets?
Do you intend to house your new pet alone or with others?
What kind of habitat do you intend to keep your new pet in? Please detail size, decor, and lighting.
Please (in detail if applicable) describe the diet you will be keeping your new pet on:
What do you intend to do with your new pet if you later find you can not keep it?
Please leave any additional comments

Old 01-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herps Alive! View Post

Lucille - I am comfortable with my process but as we see on the BOI, there are plenty of snake oil salesman out there. We get contacted by a lot of crazy craigslisters about taking animals, so I have become pretty good at smelling a skunk. (Not meant as a swipe at Craigslist, we use it to increase awareness and sell supplies, but never for live animals).
I like your screening, you might consider asking for an email address. You can get a lot of info doing a Google with name, phone and email.

I can totally see your point about crazy Craigslisters and you are right.
There are local dog shelters here that do charge higher prices for certain dogs, so it is certainly an option.
But I just wish there would be a way for youngsters or those who flat out can't afford a high end snake could get one for reasonable through your rescue. Perhaps if they did some volunteer work?

Old 01-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
Herps Alive!
Lucille, over the years I have donated a few dozen animals to classrooms and lower income folks who have shown a willingness to do right by the animal . Once we get moved into our dedicated facility, we will allow volunteers to work and in some instances to work toward animal fees. My concern is what just happened to a young lady here in Ohio. Don't have the whole story, but she saved up and bought an albino burm. Has an abcess in her mouthm,, she did not know. Now she has to "spend all the money for decorations and equipment on the vet." Lots more o this story on all sides, but my point is that I want to make sure that the person has the means to care for the animal. Does a young child a high-end ball morph or can he or she just as easily learn on a normal? Added e-mail already. Thankks.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
alcmaeon
I've been way into dog rescue for years and years and work with a couple of rescues including a pure bred boxer, a mixed breed rescue and a mastiff rescue. We rehome animals that cost $500-$2000 (or more!) as a pure bred for the same $280 adoption fee that we rehome a pitty-beagle Heinz 57 mix for. If you are legit rescue, no name brand breeder should have a problem with a reasonable adoption fee. Should you make a profit ethically? Depends on if you sink it back into the rescue or buy a new bigscreen with it.

We charge more for puppies, less for senior dogs and sometime we rehome less adoptable poochs (by medical or behavior measure) for less or free to a well vetted adopter. So yeah, everyone wants a puppy so we charge more. But for every puppy we get a bit more for there is a boxer with eye problems or a cattledog with worms for us to treat. It equals out for the greater good and we walk going into the red every month.

So charge reasonable and rescue more reptiles!

Old 01-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #15
Herps Alive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcmaeon View Post
I've been way into dog rescue for years and years and work with a couple of rescues including a pure bred boxer, a mixed breed rescue and a mastiff rescue. We rehome animals that cost $500-$2000 (or more!) as a pure bred for the same $280 adoption fee that we rehome a pitty-beagle Heinz 57 mix for. If you are legit rescue, no name brand breeder should have a problem with a reasonable adoption fee. Should you make a profit ethically? Depends on if you sink it back into the rescue or buy a new bigscreen with it.

We charge more for puppies, less for senior dogs and sometime we rehome less adoptable poochs (by medical or behavior measure) for less or free to a well vetted adopter. So yeah, everyone wants a puppy so we charge more. But for every puppy we get a bit more for there is a boxer with eye problems or a cattledog with worms for us to treat. It equals out for the greater good and we walk going into the red every month.

So charge reasonable and rescue more reptiles!
We are an Ohio non-profit Llc, with a 501C3 app just about finalized,which means wei have to account for every penny. While the Foundation does split some costs (electricity, for instance) everything else is going to getting into our dedicated facility. I am paid $1 a month as the executive director, although some direct expenses are reimbursed. (Actual gas costs,nut not a per mile rate, for instance).
I wish your comment about name brand breeders was true, but it is not. Most have been terrific- supporting us with extra supplies, donating time and cash, etc,(in fact tonight oen of them dropped off a can of the new large-size Repto Min for our turtles) but enough have caused trouble (we cannot buy a table at one area expo due to their whining, err, complaints, even if we just do outreach) that I wanted to open things up to see if it was me or them. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #16
alcmaeon
That sucks. In the dawn of rescue with dogs and cats - starting in the 80's but really getting rolling in the 90's that sort of bigotry happened at dog shows too. Being professional and never giving up was the key. People expect to see rescue groups at shows now. One thing we do is when we do get donations like dog food we give lots and lots of kudos to those who help. Pet Food Express in the Bay Area, for example, is always putting their money where their mouth is. They other big "P" name pet stores, not so much. Make it a benefit in public relations and kill them with kindness!

Old 01-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #17
bcr229
Quote:
I wish your comment about name brand breeders was true, but it is not. Most have been terrific- supporting us with extra supplies, donating time and cash, etc,(in fact tonight oen of them dropped off a can of the new large-size Repto Min for our turtles) but enough have caused trouble (we cannot buy a table at one area expo due to their whining, err, complaints, even if we just do outreach) that I wanted to open things up to see if it was me or them. Thanks for the input.
This is definitely a problem with the breeder and not with you. You are rehoming animals with no "provenance" - no genetic guarantee, no idea who the sire/dam are, hatch date, health history other than a quarantine period, etc. Most of what you will see is pet quality animals, many of whom will be in rough shape when you take them in.

If a breeder thinks that the sale of his stock is threatened by your rescue efforts, then there's a problem with the breeder's business model, not yours.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #18
Herps Alive!
Got some nice media coverage today. Has led to a few inquiries, but no direct re-homes yet. http://www.morningjournal.com/genera...ected-reptiles
(This is the third article in three markets ove the past nine days, plus two TV stories)

Old 01-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #19
Herps Alive!
So here is the kind of thing we are up against, but illustrates the issue well. I posted a GTP female for $250. This is an unknown type obviously, as a police seizure and we have some vet work in her. I was immediately accused of flipping her by a retailer who I do not know. He said Kingsnake and Fauna pricing is unrealistic, that everyone "deals." I asked why that model was not appropriate for us (if you are interested, you fill out ab application. If I think you will give the animal a good home and offer me a lower fee, we will consider it, but I won't discuss that with you until AFTER I get the form. Ironically two local chondro breeders contacted me and after exchanging pics, they agreed the price was acceptable, but that I should consider reducing it to the right home.
It's a lot of aggravation, but we will eventually get it right. Thanks to everyone here for their input. It has been helpful.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #20
j_dunlavy
Quote:
I was immediately accused of flipping her by a retailer who I do not know. He said Kingsnake and Fauna pricing is unrealistic, that everyone "deals."
The reason so many reptiles need to be rescued in the first place is because of the "haggle over price" culture that has become so prevalent in the reptile industry these days (especially with ball pythons). All those $25-35 normal ball pythons that are considered the "by-product" by less responsible "breeders" end up in trouble.
Here is an example: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=447577
Thankfully, Tom is taking care of this one, as a responsible breeder will do rehab for a snake in need.
People in general equate value with dollar amount and the cheaper the animal the greater the risk of neglect.

In my opinion you ought to keep the fees reasonable yet slightly variable, possibly dependent on desirability of the species... it is tough to figure that part. $250 sounds like a good mid-point to me.

I am happy you are working hard to save reptiles, keep up the good fight.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!