Pink pastels - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
anarchy99
Pink pastels

Really like them but heard of issues like non viable clutches, stargazing, rolling!! Anyone have any info before I
Drop the coin on a pair.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-29-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
Charis
I have heard this too but have no personal experience with breeding hogs, so that is just something I heard from a fairly big breeder of them one time.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
JoeTaffis
Pink pastels

This is my 2nd year breeding pink pastel albinos and hets, this is my favorite morph, and one of the most beautiful IMO.
I breed visual to het.... and het to het, and haven't had any problems like the ones described. I believe (as with all morphs) you should try to acquire unrelated breeding stock, and keep outcrossing to produce healthy offspring.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
Gregg M
There are issues with the pink pastels. There is a reason why it is the oldest hognose morph (it was the first hognose morph to be produced over 20 years ago) and there are hardly any around. Females do not lay viable clutches. Just like with spiders, jag carpets, and enigma leopard geckos, they ALL do something weird on a neurological level. Star gaze, cork screw, back crawl, wobble, and so on. Even things like trying to crawl backwards while being handled are signs of neurological problems. The levels of expression will vary. Some have issues that are barely noticeable and some are severely affected. And you will see all levels inbetween. It has even been proven that even seemingly unaffected animals will at some point show these symptoms eventually. All the out crossing and breeding "unrelated" animals together will not get rid of these issues. Unfortunately, it is just something that is inherit with the paint job.

Are they worth working with? For me, no they are not. I can not see deliberately breeding a morph with known issues that can not be worked out for the sake of producing a pink hognose snake. However, that is my choice and my opinion based on what I have seen.

Again, there is a very good reason why it is the oldest hognose morph and there are hardly any to be found. More than a few breeders worked years to try and work out the issues but were unsuccessful. Most breeders gave up on trying to make it work after many seasons because the issues did not get any better. Even breeding animals that do not outwardly show symptoms still produce offspring that do show outward symptoms.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!