Adenovirus, Robert Wood. Everyone please give me your opinion. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:21 PM   #11
Neil Gubitz
Robin.... I think the rest of his beardies looked kinda like your avatar.... poor things....

Neil

Old 08-17-2004, 09:16 PM   #12
Lucille
If he is selling sick beardies, and trying to push you around, post his name for the benefit of the reptile community, that we do not suffer the same fate.

Old 08-17-2004, 09:19 PM   #13
Lucille
just saw it was Robert Wood

Old 08-17-2004, 10:28 PM   #14
mbreptiles
I believe that he did state that he notified some of the buyers of his old dragons, but not all. I have to agree with you on that one Robin. I just hope that he doesn't end up trying to sell this dragon to some unaware buyer as well. I hope that he decides to keep the dragon, and take care of it instead of pawning it off on someone else in my opinion.

Old 08-17-2004, 11:57 PM   #15
CheriS
Whoa, talk about a thread going off on an tangent that is NOT the facts and the "I think" " I believe"... giving the false impression of someone and their ethics

I am not addressing this sale, I don't know anything about the transaction but what one person is saying and if your terms of service state that, thats it as far as I am concerned.

I do know about his prior collection, sales history, the problems he had and his ethics in dealing with the situation.

He never sold dragons that he even thought was ill or sick. He bought a female, used standard quarantine and later breed her. It was not until the later clutches started hatching that he had any indicators there was a problem with her or the hatchling. He posted online explaining what the second clutch was doing, and mentioned that a few of the babies from the first clutch did not thrive well.

I emailed him as it sounded like it could be viral. Once he was aware there was a problem, he contacted everyone that he had information to reach and warned them, he offered to refunded money and offered to take back animals that showed no problems just to be safe, even though they had no direct contact with the dragon that introduced this into his colony.

All very ethical actions, more than was required of him. He followed advice that was recommended by Dr Elliott Jacobson for cleaning after a viral ourbreak. He did put down his entire collection, to not spread this any further.... and that was heartbreaking. This was several months ago, not something recent and he is very cautious now, maybe a bit gun shy after what he went through.

But PLEASE, do not accuse him of selling sick animals or causing others problems when in fact he did the exact opposite, did the responsible thing and then some regarding that situation.

Old 08-18-2004, 12:35 AM   #16
CheriS
Note: For general information, it was last September/October he had a problem in his colony.

I am sure of this, as Webslave gave us permission to post an opinion inquiry about people that find out they have infections in their colonies and where their responsibility begins and ends to pst sales.

The breeder in that thread was not identified, but I will tell you now since you have made this information public about Robert Woods. He was the breeder in that thread about the dragons and adenovirus. If you read it, you will see he did not sell any knowingly sick animals, once he knew there might be a problem he contacted all he could that ever bought from him, from the time the female who introduced it into his collection arrived at his home. That was even BEFORE it was confirmed, just to make sure others did not exposed possible infected animals to other animals.

Very ethical, very honest and caring, not what he has been presented to be in this thread... just wanted to clear that up before he was branded something he is not.

The prior thread from October, 2003 on BIO

Need opinions, where does responsibilty of the sale end?

Old 08-18-2004, 02:34 AM   #17
mbreptiles
I must say that Robert Wood did tell me that he sold some of his collection, when he was having problems. This is what he told me himself. He also stated that he did not contact everyone that he sold them to, and let them know that his collection had come down with Adenovirus, and the animals that he sold might have been infected with it as well. This is what he stated to me directly, in my opinion that is not the right thing to do. He did not say that he was unable to contact them because he didn't have the contact information to do so. I hope that what you stated is true, and that he just didn't have the contact info do to so. If not, that is just not right.

Please tell me what you would do though? Knowing that he had Adenovirus before, if it was last week, or over a year ago. Would you want to risk your animals, your whole business, and the only way you make a living on taking back an animal that could potentially be infected with a virus if the disinfecting of everything was possibly not done to everything in the facility of someone elses? Or if someting so simple like a water dish was not washed and disinfected because they forgot? I am not saying that he has adenovirus, I hope for the dragons sake and his, that he doesn't. I am just saying that it is to much of a risk to me. In my opinion the majority if not all of you would agree.

I am not out here to put Mr. Wood down in anyway, I am just letting you all know what has happened, so that you may give me your opinion so that I know I have done the right thing. If all of you had come on here and said that I should have refunded him all of his money, than I would have done so. My reputation means a lot to me and my business. I have come to you all for your opinion and help. I appreciate all of your time and opinions. Please don't take what I am writing as an insult to anyone. I am just laying it all on the table from my point of veiw and the information that I have been givin. Please feel free to reply.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:14 AM   #18
Lucille
I do not know what the facts really are. But if you have a healthy collection; and he has had a virus in his collection; and you sell him a dragon and it arrives well, healthy, and he states he is happy, and a bit later it shows symptoms of an infection that was in HIS colony, common sense tells us the source of illness is most likely in his collection, and common business dealings say that YOU are not responsible; even though it has been recounted that he took care of the infection in an ethical way, if the facts are truly as you lay them out a request for a refund and shipping both ways is simply not an ethical thing to do.

Old 08-18-2004, 08:55 AM   #19
turtlepimp
Sounds like a classic case of "you broke it,you bought it".
You do not owe this guy anything.

Andy Sury

Old 08-18-2004, 10:20 PM   #20
Mickey_TLK
Matt

If the facts are as you say, the realisticly you owe him nothing.

However I, like yourself, always worry about my reputation. As such if you think you should do something here is a suggestion.

Refund the cost of the dragon, no shipping, and let him keep the animal. This does a couple of things. One it makes you look like the "good guy", even if it costs you a bit of cash. Two if the animal is at risk of the virus, It allows you to clear the air soo to speak, without putting your collection at risk.

Im not saying this is what you SHOULD do, its just an option. Sometimes in business its better to cut your losses at a point and then move on. However giving away hard earned money to what COULD be a scam always burns, I know.

I have to feel that your pretty confident its not in your collection, or you wouldnt have posted the info on a public forum. As such I have to say something sounds fishy here. I have to wonder if the guy doesnt have a streak of paranoia after the whole virus incident. Ive seen it before, guy has a bad or very bad experience with reptiles. After that they are never the same, been there myself.

Hope it works out for you in the end. May be worth a vet check up on a small group just to be able to show clean papers. I would hate to see a guy with nothing to fear/hide loose out due to another guys claims.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!