Rainbow Tree Snake paper out today - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Occidentalis
Rainbow Tree Snake paper out today

Thought you guys would be interested in this - Our paper on the placement of Gonyophis margaritatus (Rainbow tree snake) was published today in the journal Zootaxa.
For those not in the know, this is an extremely rare but gorgeous snake species distributed in SE Asia (pictures below), and we were absolutely delighted to be able to finally generate genetic data for this species.
The paper explores the phylogenetic relationships between these taxa, spelling out the taxonomic problem that now occurs by placing Gonyophis, and the three possible taxonomic solutions that present themselves from our findings. We hope to convince you, in light of this new development, that the best current hypothesis for the closely related Gonyosoma/Gonyophis/Rhadinophis/Rhynchophis group is to use the generic name Gonyosoma for each species.

I've attached some photos of this species which I gathered from the interwebs (the first I can't find an original source on, the second is here: http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/...hp?f=2&t=19134)

The species is so rarely encountered that there are less than 10 preserved specimens in museums. Our coauthors from the Graduate School of Human and Environmental Studies at Kyoto University found the animal and luckily had the foresight to take a tissue sample. There is also a picture of the individual (which was released unharmed) in the full version of the paper. Preserving specimens in formalin screws up DNA, so unfortunately we aren't able to use museum specimens for genetic research.

Preview here:
http://mapress.com/zootaxa/2014/f/z03881p548f.pdf
I apologize for the pay wall but I can't legally send the full version publicly.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Temporalis_Enterprises
Very interesting! Any idea where I can purchase/view the full paper?

Old 11-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Occidentalis
Send me an email, I can't post it publicly but I'm happy to send it. Alexmckelvy@gmail.com

Old 11-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
Temporalis_Enterprises
Email sent!

Old 12-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
Robert Walker
The snake in the 2nd & 3rd photos is perhaps one of the best looking snakes I have ever seen in my life, absolutely stunning. I am really glad to know there are people out there working on this "stuff". Thanks for sharing Alex!

Old 12-19-2014, 01:14 AM   #6
Occidentalis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
The snake in the 2nd & 3rd photos is perhaps one of the best looking snakes I have ever seen in my life, absolutely stunning. I am really glad to know there are people out the working on this "stuff". Thanks for sharing Alex!
Here's the picture from the pub! They really are amazing animals!
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!