tricks to keeping more than one gecko - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-04-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
wdawg
tricks to keeping more than one gecko

I found a leo that I can't resist and I'm worried about keeping more
than one gecko in one tank. The 2 geckos are female. I have
one that I bought from Robert Lee and I absolutely adore her. She's
mainly the reason why I want another...

I'm worried though. I've read so many posts about Leo's losing their
tales due to territory or food.

I plan on purchasing this Leo in the next week.. Can you guys
critique my plans and let me know if I'm on the right track? TIA..

1)wash the tank and all the items including hides, re-arrange hides

2) put another warm hide for the new Leo.. (I have 3 hides.. cold, warm, humid) The cold never gets used by my current Leo. She basically poops on
top of it

3) when feeding, take each Leo out and place her in separate tupperware to
feed. (I'm thinking that if they don't fight for feed they won't fight)

I'm sorta lost.. I think my plans are bulletproof but for some reason I am
afraid that I'm missing something...

Please post if you know tricks to housing more than 1 female gecko..

Thanks..

BTW: I have a 20Gal Long

Old 12-04-2004, 08:26 PM   #2
Herpcam
Hey there.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling the addiction many of us have. Just be careful, they multiply quickly....shouldn't have that problem with two girls, though.

The first, big step you forgot in your plan is to quarantine. Each new gecko should live in a separate enclosure for 90 days. This is to make sure the new gecko has no problems that you could pass to the gecko you already have. I've done shorter quarantines, but it really is taking a risk on your part, because there's always the possibility the new gecko could have something, and not all illnesses or parasites are noticeable right away.

So, get another cage, or tupperware that can act as a cage for a few months and then after you're sure the new gal is alright (perhaps have a fecal done?), then introduce them. Make sure they're about the same size, as well.

Good luck and post pictures when you get her in.

Old 12-04-2004, 08:29 PM   #3
Xelda
You're missing one very important step, which is to quarantine the new gecko for at least 90 days. That means you need to house it separately, wash your hands, and only take care of it after feeding/cleaning your first leo's tank. You want to make sure it's healthy before you let it come in contact with your current leo.

Old 12-05-2004, 05:42 AM   #4
Lucille
I received four females some time ago in one shipment and have kept them in the same large enclosure. There has never been a problem, and I never see any aggression or competition for food.

Old 12-05-2004, 07:23 AM   #5
wdawg
Thanks for responses.. Other than the quarantine process,
is there anything else I'm missing?

I'm almost positive that I'm missing something.
If not, I guess I've done my research

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!