Introducing my new Malaclemys terrapin. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
Dyscophus antongilii
Introducing my new Malaclemys terrapin.

Hi All,

Well, about two weeks ago, I got two Malaclemys terrapin. They are tiny, just the tiniest little turtles I have ever owned.

In the two weeks and two days I have owned them, I swear they have grown. Since, well, all they do is eat. Not like I am complaining or anything like that. They just have such an insensible appetite.

It is also so cute, whenever, they see a a human, they come to the front of the tank. I am sure that is only because they are expecting food. But, it still makes them so darn cute.

Anyway, here are some photo's of them, over the past two weeks and two days in my care.

[IMG]

[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a ventral photo of the smaller turtle. Well, the tinier of the two. I think he/she looks so cute in that picture. What do you all think?

A dorsal view of the smaller one.

This is a ventral view of the "larger one". I love all the white on this particular specimens face.

A dorsal view of the same specimen.

Please excuse my ugly fingernails. I was just working in the Pyxicephalus adspersus enclosure.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:59 PM   #2
Jawsofafrog
My fingers always look like that after caring for my frogs, don't sweat it! Your Terrapin's are so beautiful and I always loved Terrapin's looks! Keep them eating! I bet they are gobbling night crawlers down by the dozens!

Old 04-30-2017, 01:42 AM   #3
LauraB
Very nice! I only have a couple rescued mud and musks, lol ... been with me for many, many years. They too, even at 10+ years scramble to get to the front of their tanks when they see me ... FEED ME!

You did good, enjoy and take good care of them, they are gorgeous.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:27 PM   #4
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawsofafrog View Post
My fingers always look like that after caring for my frogs, don't sweat it!
Thanks so much. I just don't want you all thinking I am a complete slob.

Quote:
Your Terrapin's are so beautiful
Thanks again, for your kind words. I think they are very pretty too. Especially, when you consider they are just "plain ordinary" Malaclemys terrapin terrapin. Just based off of physical appearance, I much prefer Malaclemys terrapin macrospilota and Malaclemys terrapin littoralis .

Quote:
I always loved Terrapin's looks!
Based off of my almost "nonexistent sample size", I would say: if you love them, get yourself some. Since, for such tiny turtles, they seem fairly easy to maintain. When these are larger, I am considering getting some C.B.B. Clemmys guttata. Since, I now feel like I might be able to safely care for some tiny Clemmys guttata and hopefully watch them grow up.

Quote:
Keep them eating!
Trust me, I am. As long as they want to. Seriously, whenever, they see a human, they expect a meal.

Quote:
I bet they are gobbling night crawlers down by the dozens!
I certainly hope so. Speaking of adult diet, what do you all recommend? I am just feeding baby Reptomin at the moment. Since, that is what the breeder had them eating when I acquired them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
Very nice!
Thank you, very much.

Quote:
I only have a couple rescued mud and musks, lol ...
Why do you say only? I am sure they are fantastic too. What species do you have? Maybe you can may a thread about them? , hint hint....nudge nudge...

Quote:
been with me for many, many years.
That shows what a fantastic herpetoculturist you are, in my humble opinion anyway.

Quote:
They too, even at 10+ years scramble to get to the front of their tanks when they see me ... FEED ME!
I hope my teeny tiny charges live that long. Since, well, I have to admit, I am sure I will love watching my Testudines doing it still. I would also love to watch yours do it too LOL.

Quote:
You did good,
Thanks very much. I occasionally have to "luck out". Trust me, it is VERY occasional.

Quote:
enjoy and take good care of them,
I am most definitely enjoying them. I am trying very hard to take care of my teeny, tiny, "microscopic" charges.

Quote:
they are gorgeous.
Your going to give my Malaclemys terrapin terrapin a "big ego" LOL. Seriously, thank you again for your kind words!

Old 05-01-2017, 12:02 AM   #5
Jawsofafrog
I don't know that food you mentioned they eat? What is it? A man made food, such as dry pellets? If you have a chance, please post a picture of them eating.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
I don't know that food you mentioned they eat? What is it?
[IMG][/IMG]
It is a prepared/man made diet, which is shown in the photo above.

Quote:
A man made food,
!

Quote:
such as dry pellets?

Yes, you are completely correct, yet again!

Quote:
If you have a chance, please post a picture of them eating.
I always have time to post picture's. Since, well, I love too post picture. I also love taking the pictures.

Hence, I just need someone to show interest. Since, I do NOT want to bore you all to death with my photo's.

Anyway, your wish is my command!
[IMG][/IMG]
That is the "microscopic" one "deciding" on a pellet he/she wants to consume.

[IMG][/IMG]
The "microscopic" one about to consume said pellet.

[IMG][/IMG]
The "microscopic" one eating the chossen pellet.

[IMG][/IMG]
The "microscopic" one swallowing/consuming said pellet.

[/IMG]
The "larger" tiny DBT, has picked his pellet.[IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
The "larger" tiny DBT, consuming said pellet.

[IMG][/IMG]
The "larger" yet so tiny, DBT, swallowing the pellet. I happen to love that photo. Both a dorsal and front facing view, in the same photo.

Are you sorry you asked for picture's yet?

Old 05-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #7
elena
Frozen brine shrimp make a good treat for tiny turtles. Most Petco/land/smart stores have them.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:34 PM   #8
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
Frozen brine shrimp make a good treat for tiny turtles.
How frequently should they be provided with said "treat"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
Most Petco/land/smart stores have them.
I completely understand what I am about to ask you is likely to be a marketing ploy, but, I feel I need to ask. Anyway, my question is this: is there really a biological difference between blood worms marked for fresh water organisms v.s. salt water organisms?

Thanks for all your time and continued patience.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
JohnWieczerza
Nice Pepper Speckles!

Old 05-31-2017, 04:02 PM   #10
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWieczerza View Post
Nice Pepper Speckles!
Thanks so much. I would love to see picture's of your girl.

[IMG][/IMG]
See, turtles have a sense of humor. Possibly...maybe???

[IMG][/IMG]
One of my favorite picture's of them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!