How long does Chlorhexidine disinfectant last? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
RachelSnakes
How long does Chlorhexidine disinfectant last?

How long does Chlorhexidine disinfectant last before it expires? Also I read on another forum it is only good for 2 weeks after you mix it with water, is this true?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Helenthereef
I don't know the exact timings, but it is true that it has a limited lifespan once diluted, so it's better to store the concentrate and only make it up as needed.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
hhmoore
The expiration date should be listed on the bottle. Depending on where it is purchased, you should have at least 2 yrs...but I have received a bottle with only 8 months to expiration (needless to say, I no longer use that source).
Once diluted, off the top of my head, I believe it is good for 1 week if tap water is used; 1 month if distilled water. It should also be noted that the effectiveness is decreased in the presence of detergents or "waste"; so you should clean first, then disinfect.
Relatively few bacteria are killed with a spray and wipe technique...wet time is essential, typically 5-10 minutes (depending on what you are trying to kill). Spray, let it sit, then wipe it dry.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
RachelSnakes
Thanks for the replies! The bottle I have says "Expiration date" with no date listed next to it. Lol...

Old 10-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
Chrisw
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
The expiration date should be listed on the bottle. Depending on where it is purchased, you should have at least 2 yrs...but I have received a bottle with only 8 months to expiration (needless to say, I no longer use that source).
Once diluted, off the top of my head, I believe it is good for 1 week if tap water is used; 1 month if distilled water. It should also be noted that the effectiveness is decreased in the presence of detergents or "waste"; so you should clean first, then disinfect.
Relatively few bacteria are killed with a spray and wipe technique...wet time is essential, typically 5-10 minutes (depending on what you are trying to kill). Spray, let it sit, then wipe it dry.
Great info Harald. I have also read that light shortens the life span. Is that true? I keep mine in a dark cabinet till its time to use it. Also when cleaning, I spray all the tubs and let them sit for atleast 10 mins.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
jenfour6
The date should be on the bottle of the disinfectant. Another thing to keep in mind, the chlorhexidine activity is dependent on pH and is weaker in the presence of organic matter so for some chemicals it will be stronger or more effective than others.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!