Popping babies????? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-31-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
Bill
Question Popping babies?????

Hello,

I have a bunch of new baby Sonoran Gophers, and I'm finding it difficult to pop them since they come out so big after hatching. Any hints???
Also, some that I pop show two red "things" one on each side that come out a bit, not a full hemi but would this classify a male, but the hemi is just not fully everted?

Thank-you,
Bill Black

Old 09-01-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
hhmoore
Bill,
Are you experienced with the technique of popping snakes? It seems odd to me that you would find gophers difficult if you are, but I suppose it is possible that you worked with something easier (I find bulls to be one of the easier species in my collection to pop, and have problems with some others...so I guess it is all relative).
As for the 2 red things, tempting though it may be to say "yes, they are hemipenes" - without seeing them, or knowing how far they are coming out, it would be a poor call.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
Bill
Popping

Hello,

I am not a pro at popping but I think I get the drift, I hold above the vent and use my thumb to push up from underneath the vent but not too hard. I also had a guy try to pop them and he had the same issues, he was use to popping Garter and Thayeri but could not get the gophers to pop. He thinks it is because they are big already 3 weeks or so and they have too much control.

Bill

Old 09-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
hhmoore
3 weeks shouldn't be a problem...and your technique may be fine. You may have a high female:male ratio - sometimes you get lucky. Like I said, I have snakes that I can't pop to save myself...but I have no problems with the bulls (and I don't generally check them til they are at least 2 weeks old, and have had a couple meals). Really, the best thing to do is to get a few of which you are certain of the sex...and practice.

If all else fails, there're always probes.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
Bill
Popping

Ok, sounds good..thanks again for your advice..I definitely have at least two males that I saw Hemi's pop but could not do it again..I'll just practice on them

Bill

Old 09-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
Scott Nellis
Talking could be females

Hey Bill,

If you're popping them correctly, the two red dots would indicate a female. I'm not sure, but I think the red dots are the blood vessels at the bottom of the musk pockets that female snakes have. After some practice, you should be able to tell males from females before popping them just by looking at their talis. I'm with Harold, bulls are easy to pop for me too...lol. Try slowly rolling your finger/thumb up from about an inch or so past the vent....works better that "pressing".

Scott Nellis

Old 09-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
Bill
Popping

Thanks for the advice..I will keep practicing and I'm sure I will get it down..

Bill

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!