Homo x Homo (recessive) = what? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-15-2007, 10:45 AM   #11
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
I'm sorta referring to how can you guarantee it? And if you can't they shouldn't be listed as DH.
I could be off, but it just seems in my mind, like you can only guarantee them as Het Anery due to mom.
Even though this is an odd breeding situation, if these two males were the only males in contact with that female then the normal babies would have had to be fathered by the albino, therefore they have to be double hets. I understand what your saying in that it just doesn't seem right to guarantee het status in this situation, but there's no other alternative, the anery male cannot produce normal offspring with the anery female.
What you cannot guarantee is that the anery male is the father of any of them, unless the breeder knows beyond all doubt that the albino male is not het for snow.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:51 AM   #12
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Hulse
Ahh. Gotcha.
So an aneryxanery would have to produce all aneries because they do not have the normal gene?
Exactly. The salmons are a "visual het" so to speak. They have one salmon gene and one normal gene. Super salmons are homozygous, they have two salmon genes.
When you breed a super salmon, you will get no normals, because he has no normal gene to pass on, all the offspring will either be salmon or super salmon depending on the mate.
Recessive genes act the same way, in order to be expressed it has to have two genes for that trait, therefore it doesn't have a normal gene to pass on.

Just as if you bred two super salmons together you would get a litter of all super salmons, if you breed two homozygous recessives, you will get all offspring being homozygous for that trait.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:35 PM   #13
crotalusadamanteus
OK, I can sorta picture what you are saying now. Only really two possible fathers, so if there are normals, they would have to have come from the Albino male, making them DH Snow, right? Gotcha!

What if this female was bred last year, and didn't take? Boa are sperm retainers. A lot would depend on that too wouldn't it? Maybe that lurking in the back of my mind is what is making me doubtful.

But I can see where you are coming from.
Rick

Old 09-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #14
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
What if this female was bred last year, and didn't take? Boa are sperm retainers. A lot would depend on that too wouldn't it? Maybe that lurking in the back of my mind is what is making me doubtful.

But I can see where you are coming from.
Rick
I don't pretend to be extensively knowledgeable on boa breeding, and while I wouldn't have considered sperm retention for a full year to be any real possibility, if you say it has happened I'll take your word for it.

However, if that is a concern then it has much wider ramifications. Say you breed a pair of normals this year but get no offspring, then next year you breed that female to a snow. If what you are saying is a concern, then even if that snow was the only male bred with her next year you are not going to be able to guarantee the offspring are all 100% DH snow for the same reasons you couldn't guarantee these are. It's the same situation really.
But I doubt if you were buying a pair of DH snows that one of the questions to ask the seller would be what was the female bred with last year, and did that breeding result in offspring.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #15
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
However, if that is a concern then it has much wider ramifications. Say you breed a pair of normals this year but get no offspring, then next year you breed that female to a snow. If what you are saying is a concern, then even if that snow was the only male bred with her next year you are not going to be able to guarantee the offspring are all 100% DH snow for the same reasons you couldn't guarantee these are. It's the same situation really.
Exactly. It's speculation really, my theory above. There was a discussion a while back on this subject. I know I can direct you to one fairly well known individual that has experienced sperm retention. I believe, (been a while) it was like 20 months ?? with out a males presence, she ovulated, and had a nice healthy litter.

Anyway, I was just throwing in a twist.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!