Homo x Homo (recessive) = what? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
Casey Hulse
Homo x Homo (recessive) = what?

What would the poss. offspring be? Would they have to all be homo? or would there be hets also?
I have bred codom x codom and had normal offspring in the litter.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
KelliH
When breeding two homozygous animals to each other you should get all homozygous offspring. If both parents are also Het for another recessive trait, then you should produce some of those as well.

Example: Albino Leopard Gecko X Albino Leopard Gecko =
100% Albino Leopard Gecko Offspring

Albino Het Blizzard Leopard Gecko X Albino Het Blizzard Leopard Gecko =
25% Albino Leopard Gecko Offspring
50% Albino Het Blizzard Leopard Gecko Offspring
25% Albino Blizzard Offspring (expresses both recessive traits at the same time)

I hope this helps!

Old 09-14-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
Casey Hulse
Can some of the animals be normal looking? This is why I ask.
Quote:
07 MALE ANERY #1 THAT IS JUST AWSOME

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guy was produced by me. Mom is an anery and dad is an anery. I bred his mom to two different males. The litter was half anerys and half double het snows. His mom bred to an albino male also. I can ship him overnight to your door. He is very healthy and just an overall very nice snake. I would prefer a Postal money order if possible. I might consider a payment plan if it was absolutly necessary.

MALE ANERY----$175.00 PLUS SHIPPING

Old 09-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
paulh
The key to the problem here is that the female was bred to two males. The normal-looking babies were sired by the amelanistic (AKA albino) male. They could not have been sired by the anerythristic male. The anerythristic babies could have been sired by either male. If they were sired by the amelanistic male, he is heterozygous anerythristic.

Hope that helps a bit.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
KelliH
I actually think this is a possible scenario if the female was indeed bred to two different males. I have heard of such things happening with ball pythons.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
In this case, IMHO, you can not list the babies as DH with accuracy. There is no guarantee due to the multi partner thing. Although the Anery's in the litter are obviously Aneries, and the normals are obviously normals, I don't think you can guarantee who gets what genes. You can only theorize that the Normals will have an Anery and an Amel gene.

Most likely like Paul stated, the normals are Het for albino, and the Anery's are just Anery's. I just don't picture any DH's coming from a pairing, or trio like that.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
Most likely like Paul stated, the normals are Het for albino, and the Anery's are just Anery's. I just don't picture any DH's coming from a pairing, or trio like that.
Well, mom is an anerythristic, so all the normal babies are het anery, no question. As you stated the normals would have to be het albino, so by default they are double hets.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
Casey Hulse
I am not sure what is "absolute" when dealing with recessives, but I bred
2 f1 salmon boas together and got 20% normal looking boas (10salmon/3normal). Is it possible that the only father of the litter is the anery? I just do not know for certain

Old 09-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
Well, mom is an anerythristic, so all the normal babies are het anery, no question. As you stated the normals would have to be het albino, so by default they are double hets.
I'm sorta referring to how can you guarantee it? And if you can't they shouldn't be listed as DH.
I could be off, but it just seems in my mind, like you can only guarantee them as Het Anery due to mom.

Casey, you got normals in your Salmon litter, because both parents have a normal Gene to pass on. Salmon are literally Het for normal, unless they are Homozygous (Supers).

Old 09-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #10
Casey Hulse
Quote:
Casey, you got normals in your Salmon litter, because both parents have a normal Gene to pass on. Salmon are literally Het for normal, unless they are Homozygous (Supers).
Ahh. Gotcha.
So an aneryxanery would have to produce all aneries because they do not have the normal gene?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!