Small boa round the neck? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #11
11Catalyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley View Post

So yeah... there are plenty of reasons you shouldn't wear your boa around your neck in your apartment complex laundry room. And not a single one for why you should.
Not even if its really really purdy?

Old 03-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #12
Helenthereef
There are many of us who keep snakes as pets, not breeding projects. And many of us handle our snakes, walk around with them and enjoy their physical presence. As people do with cats and dogs.

Geckogirl, don't be scolded into thinking you must not interact with your pet!

There is no reason the think that snakes prefer to be eternally encased in PVC or glass without ever getting a sniff of fresh air....

Old 03-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
cahrens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
There are many of us who keep snakes as pets, not breeding projects. And many of us handle our snakes, walk around with them and enjoy their physical presence. As people do with cats and dogs.

Geckogirl, don't be scolded into thinking you must not interact with your pet!

There is no reason the think that snakes prefer to be eternally encased in PVC or glass without ever getting a sniff of fresh air....
It's not that you can never take them out of their home, you just shouldn't take them out of your home. Snakes are a touchy subject as it is, you can't force them upon people by bringing them into public. I'll guarantee you if you scare someone or bother someone enough, they'll complain until you're not able to keep your pet anymore. Not even inside your home.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
Uroboros
I am unaware of any boa species that will experience illness or death from being away from it's climate controlled situation for an hour. If there is a species that fragile, I'd be curious as to which.

I have met plenty of people that argue against taking them out to the public, and some of the arguments have good reason behind them (personally, I have a large personal liability policy). I have taken mine down to the petstore to see the people that sell me their rats (rather vice-versa), I have had them outside, I have let my 80+ year old neighbor hold them, I have never been chased down or swung at by a maniac weilding a broom.

I would take mine to the laundry room, if I had a laundry room to have to go to. While running into one of your neighbors is possible, I have never seen more than one or two people at the apt's laundry room I used to live in. It's not like tooling to the grocery store where there is a lot of people and a lot of exposure and a high risk of the snake biting someone or some jackass hurting the snake.

And, while over the shoulders is a great support for the snake, it does put the human at a disadvantage. I try to give it one shoulder and let the back end down under my opposite arm and support that end with my hand, that way, I have more leverage if, God forbid, I should need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahrens View Post
I'll guarantee you if you scare someone or bother someone enough, they'll complain until you're not able to keep your pet anymore
This is one of those reasons that I discount. This is actually a situation that is easily avoided, and I'm a master at annoying people. All you have to do is be respectful of the people around. If I want to get my boas out on the grass on some nice 80 degree sunny day, I will do it. Just like if I want to clean my rifle on the front porch because the weather is nice, I'll do it. I can't brandish the rifle or point it at anyone, but there's nothing illegal about either of those situations.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #15
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroboros View Post
Just like if I want to clean my rifle on the front porch because the weather is nice, I'll do it. I can't brandish the rifle or point it at anyone, but there's nothing illegal about either of those situations.
I clean my rifles and hand guns on my front porch every time I move to a new place. It's the American thing to do.

Like I said, it's the common sense factor that makes all the difference. Be respectful of others, be in control of the animal, and there usually ain't more then inquisitiveness as a result. If not for me taking my snakes places on occasion, I can think of about 50 people give or take, that would have never gotten their first reptile.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #16
Metachrosis
Nothing beats a good sun soaking when it comes to healthy boa's!!

That alleged misconception of boa's hiding in leaf litter and hiding from the sun "all day" is not how it works in the wild.Boa's forcefully confined and deprived in sanitary lab like conditions have long since been thought to be the catalyst for
inferior strains in culture.As long as the micro climate is functioning and the animal isn't dead its assumed to be healthy.

Very much like their human keepers that are confined to a box or building during the majority of the natural light cycle with overall sedentary conditions consuming prefrozen portions.Stressed ,anemic,fat and overall lazy due to a technologically manipulated life.

Many experienced keepers know full well the "benefits" of unobstructed natural sunlight and fresh air.

quote:
Two... snakes aren't fashion accessories. If you have one because you think it makes for nifty jewelry, you're basically an animal abuser.

You keep nifty trophies in a controlled environment restrained from natural process's like sunlight and fresh air. Who is basically an animal abuser ?

Jewelry/Trophies where's the difference

Old 03-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #17
Uroboros
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
I clean my rifles and hand guns on my front porch every time I move to a new place. It's the American thing to do.

Like I said, it's the common sense factor that makes all the difference. Be respectful of others, be in control of the animal, and there usually ain't more then inquisitiveness as a result. If not for me taking my snakes places on occasion, I can think of about 50 people give or take, that would have never gotten their first reptile.
That's the valid part of the argument. It's a crying shame that the irresponsible jackasses make the biggest impact on opinions. Those actions by an irresponsible jerkwad can be quite dangerous for the animal, the jerkwad, and the people around them. In careful and respectful hands, it can be an educational and pleasant experience.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #18
geckogrl6
Thank you all. I do believe he enjoyed exploring something new and mentally stimulating for awhile. I absolutely agree that an animal that is not properly controlled by its owner should not be in public, and certainly not in a crowd. I don't believe I will ever own an animal I cannot control effectively. That would be kinda stupid. Again, this was a big factor in my choice of boa. It is one of the few boa/python species I feel comfortable handling and controlling alone, and imo one of the prettiest.
Yes, whether my pet's appearence pleases my eye was a factor as well. If you want to call him jewelry for that reason, that's fine.
My experiences with my corns leads me to believe that anyone intimidated or disturbed by the animal will simply give us both a wide berth. Those who are curious will ask to approach, as my mother taught me when approaching any strange animal with a human. This is especially true of an animal/snake this size, which most would assume is capable of serious harm. Not to do so- contributory negl
I do recall seeing several beautiful photos of beautiful large boas on here taken in sunlight. I think the unseasonably nice weather was enjoyed by both of us.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #19
ForkedTung
We call those snake hugs a "security squeeze" they're just making sure they don't fall and it makes them feel more secure...
I bring mine out in the front yard on occasion as well.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #20
geckogrl6
off topic

Just wanted to offer a "hear, Hear" to those who claim that cleaning a gun on your front porch is the American thing to do. Protecting our right to do so is part of what led me to incur six figure debt over the last four years! Y'all keep doin what you do! (as long as you are careful)
And to the one who claimed that if I annoy someone enough, that this will guarantee I will no longer be able to keep my pets even in my own home, I see your point, but I suggest a lesson on legislative process, regulations, due process, and exercising your rights as a citizen. If we all as a group actually took the time to fight for our own rights, that could not happen.
I consider my outings with Cherry and my leos to be something of a recruiting endeavor for others interested in the cause.
I apologize for the horribly off topic post, but I'm stuck in legal mode through the end of July.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!