Costa Rican Boas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
Payara
Costa Rican Boas

Could someone give someone please give some info on this dwarf boa. Max size, ideal temperature, humidity, enclosure size, and so forth.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payara View Post
Could someone give someone please give some info on this dwarf boa. Max size, ideal temperature, humidity, enclosure size, and so forth.

Thanks
I don't own any, but it's been my experience that the care of Boa Constrictor remains close to the same for most ssp.

Max size...smaller then a Colombian or a BCC. Seriously, that is not something you can predict with certainty. Too many factors come into the equation. I'd say about 4-6 ft, but you always have those oddballs that can pop up in any line of Boa, and end up a bit larger or smaller then the norm. If you set your mind that it will reach "X" size, you're likely to get disappointed.

Humidity...You need some for a healthy respiratory tract. But too much can prove destructive, bringing molds, scale rot, URI, etc. If mine drops below 40%, I mist, and it jumps up to about 80% for a day, and avgs at about 60% for the next couple days dropping back down. This works great for me, providing good sheds and apparently healthy critters.

Cage size...depends on age and size really, and what your particular tastes are. Some like large cages with lots of hides and branches, others keep them in tubs in a rack. The rule I like to use is a square foot of floor for every linear foot of snake. They don't need to climb, but if it suits you, you could make it tall enough for branches.

Cage temps...Again, it varies. I run one side of the cage at about 91-93° and let the other side do what it does as a starting point. They move back and forth and regulate themselves, which IMO is how it should be. I'm sure you'll find lots of different opinions on that though, and many of them work too. Could be that your particular environment will play a role, and you'll have to fine tune your settings with time. You'll have to be fairly observant of the critter though. Spending too much time on the cool side, probably a bit warm on the hot side. Staying on the hot side all the time, maybe not warm enough.

It's important to remember that there is no "gospel" when it comes to Boa care. You'll need to average up what you read, and accommodate the critter rather then the opinions of others.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Payara
Thanks Richard

Old 08-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Metachrosis
The Costa Rican BCI ssp is very similar to the Hog Island,very few of them are actually "dwarf". Meaning its very "common" for them to exceed 6' in length and weigh in excess of 12lbs

They are a cool ,low$$ investment boa thats well suited for the beginner.
Snakes can be very forgiving and tolerate everything except
ignorance(the stupid kind) and laziness in a keeper

Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
pituophislady
I know of quite a few Costa Ricans that are over 6 foot.

The one I had was a mean little devil....he liked to use me as a chew toy. I sold him, now he chews on his new owner.

Correct me if I'm wrong Tom, but isn't there a 9 foot female at one of the CR serpentariums?

Amie

Old 01-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
amattel
Here are some picks of my '08 pair of Costa Rican Boas. I bought them from Chris Gilbert. They are approx 18 months old and around 4.5 feet. They should be 5-6 feet when mature

[

Old 05-21-2010, 06:23 AM   #7
viper69
Vinny Russo sells these as well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!