i think she is a calico not a paradox - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 03:05 AM   #21
Lee Herps
No doubt it is an albino paradox. I like to call them freaks though. I always think of a paradox being an albino with black pigment. Yours looks more like a combo of a normal and albino in one snake. Very cool none the less!

Old 05-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #22
Twizted Paths
I have 2 calicos & have talked to others with them, that's deff a paradox. She's a very pretty one too

I hope you keep us updated with pics as she grows.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #23
gsrept
will do. thanks guys

Old 05-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #24
crotalusadamanteus
Gonna play the devils advocate here...

How does anyone know a paradox is a paradox, except by definition of the word? With no genetic testing, how do we know anything about some of these paradox and T+ Albinos?

I mean, think about it. Even the definitions are a bit wacky and leave room for misinterpretation...

T+ Albino, an Albino that has the ability to produce Tyrosinase, the enzyme responsible for the synthesis of melanin. But they don't have albino eyes. Why not?

Paradox, an Albino that is also obviously producing Tyrosinase, because it is showing pigmentation that says so.

I guess what I'm getting at is, we don't know the genome of the Boa. What's to say that they so called Paradox Albino, isn't in reality, a T+ Albino? It's an albino producing melanin, right?

What's to say the so called T+ Albinos aren't in reality, Hypomelanistic? I mean, check out most other species that have Hypos. It's a recessive trait across the board. T+ Albinos are recessive and they don't have Albino eyes.

Anyway, just something about it has always bugged me. Not seemed right. Thought I'd put a twist in there for you to think about.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #25
gsrept
i would agree but she has albino eyes.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #26
crotalusadamanteus
My point exactly. She also displays dark pigment, which means she's producing Tyrosinase to some degree. Correct?

Old 05-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #27
gsrept
yes, the only problem with the paradox gene is that it is usually a co-dom random gene from what i have been told which creates a problem when trying to prove out when breeding you may see it one year and then not the next. I think with the mother that she came from maybe a little diferent there were 2 produced in this litter that looked similar,so this is going to be my new project to see if it really is a random genetic gene or if it can be recreated with some consistancy, i think this is where some of the paradox animals out there are lacking no one has been able to isolate the gene and keep producing a snake with the same paradox look all the time. hope this made sense i am still half asleep. lol

Old 05-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #28
crotalusadamanteus
Yeah, I get you. Not trying to say I'm right, or that I even know what I'm talking about. But something about the Paradox, and the T+ both just don't sound right. That's why I used them for examples.

Anyway, good luck getting some consistency.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #29
AbsoluteApril
just throwing in these two cents...
Paradox males were bred this season (litter was posted on KS) to an albino female and the male's genes acted like a DH because there were albinos and normals (and hypos) in the litter. No paradoxes.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #30
gsrept
there in lies the problem the paradox as far as we no is a random gene just because the parent shows it does not mean the offspring will always.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!