Previously Unidentified Virus Type Responsible for IBD - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
DesertRat73
Previously Unidentified Virus Type Responsible for IBD

This is some exciting news for Boa and python owners, the Virus responsible for IBD has finally been positively identified. Here is the write up on it. Hopefully they'll be able to work a vaccine before I'm old and grey, but at least this is a start.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Snakesitter
Actually, I spoke with one of the authorities on IBD, and my understanding is it is not 100% proven until they confirm it with transmission studies. Tommy's article also confirms this: "Dr Mark Stenglein, who co-led the current study, said 'we don't yet have formal evidence that these viruses cause the disease… although there is a good correlation [between disease and the presence of virus] … it is also possible that other viruses or pathogens cause a similar set of symptoms.'" So, while we're much closer...it's still too early to break out the bubbly.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Metachrosis
X-actly!

Old 09-07-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
DesertRat73
Cliff! How you been man? I know you have solid experience with this, who'd you talk to? Did they give any time frame for when this might get sorted out for a definitive answer(e.t.a. for completion of transmission studies, etc.)? I also put this on RTB.net if you wouldn't mind dropping in and contributing there as well brother.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Snakesitter
Hey Brad! Been nothing so much as busy lately.

Thankfully my experience was a false scare by a bad lab report....but I still got to learn all about this disease.

To answer your question, I spoke with one of the University of Florida experts. No time frame was mentioned -- I get the sense that while aware of the work, they are not primary participants. I'd love to know myself. The best bet would be for someone to contact the person who ran the study and ask them timing questions...though it probably depends on funding more than anything else.

While I therefore do not have much to add, I'll add RTB to my list of place to visit, but just to warn you it may be a long while -- I have a major show next week, and prep is taking all my time right now.

Hope you're doing well!

Old 09-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
DesertRat73
Sounds like Dr. Jacobson's outfit in Florida, I think that's where he's at any way. Always with the money these guys... you'd think with the way the Gov't goes through it these guys would have no issues, but we know how that goes. Good luck at the show man, you're kiddies are looking great.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
I have contact info for one of the guys working on this here at UCSF, him and an associate came to my local herp club for a presentation and trying to find more IBD positive specimens for study (it was either Mark or Chris, I think Chris? I have the info at home). They believe there is a secondary virus (I wish I was more technical to clearly express what they said) and the study is ongoing. Their main research came from the Steinhards Aquarium reptiles (now Cal Science), a group of ATBs came in and spread IBD in their collection in the atbs and boids.

A bunch of us at the meeting asked if they needed donations and he said no, they have continued funding for the research, the main issue was getting more specimens, he was especially interested in finding snake mites that carried the IBD. They were currently working to synthesize snake tissue to use for the testing in leiu of additional specimens.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
Snakesitter
Thanks Brad, I just wish I had more than one left for sale! My three girls from this year are not giving me happy signs yet, though I know at least one had lots of cohabitation action going on....

Old 09-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Snakesitter
Good to know April, I will spread the word!!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!