Omg, So Excited!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
animalluver2005
Talking Omg, So Excited!!!!

im getting a ferret in a couple weeks or months. im sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooo excited!!!! its a baby girl and i should have some pics laters hopefully!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! !!!

Old 03-14-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
Rebel Dragons
Ferrets are wonderful animals. I'm sure you will have a blast with him/her. You won't be disappointed!!!

If you have any questions just ask. I had ferrets for many years and recently started judging again at local ferret shows. Once they are in your blood I think they stay with you forever.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:33 PM   #3
Rebel Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalluver2005
do you have any extra ferret supplies i could have, like, water bowl, food dish and some food, hammock, and whatever else i need? im VERY new at ferret owning, and this is my first time. please help me! im afraid i wont have supplies in time before my ferret comes. please donate some to me please!
If I had some supplies laying around I would send them to you but I got rid of everything after my Frodo died. I figured I would answer this publically since it may help out other potential new ferret owners.

Please Please get everything you need before getting the ferret. With a ferret you need to be prepared because unlike some other animals they require quite a lot as basic needs. I can recommend some books and websites as well so you can better educate yourself on ferret care and ownership. This is just some of what you will need......... Not trying to scare you but you have got to be prepared for the long haul. Most ferrets live to be 8-10 years of age.

A nice sized cage, big enough for them to run around and play in. I know the starter kit cages they sell are cheap and look good enough but they are much to small.

You really do not need bedding as they sleep in hammocks (most of the time).
If you choose to use a bedding DO NOT use cedar shavings. The dusts and oils in cedar are very harmful to ferrets lungs. Use recycled news if you must have a bedding. Although after you see the mess it makes when they play in it I doubt you will use it for long.

For food buy Totally Ferret. It is the only food on the market specifically designed for a ferrets nutritional needs. It's a bit more expensive than the cat food the pet store will tell you is ok but it makes a world of difference. It helps with plaque buildup on the teeth, creates a shinier more heathy coat, etc... etc... The benefits are well worth the extra expense.

You will need a high backed litter pan. They back there butts up to a corner to poop and if the pan does not have a high back it will get all over the place. For litter use Recycled News or Wood Stove Pellets, cat litter creates too much dust and is bad for a ferrets lungs.

Ferretone is a food supplement added to the meals daily. It works wonders. It also is great on distracting them while cleaning ears and clipping nails.

Get a hammock to put in the cage. That is where they prefer to sleep.

A food bowl and a water bottle are musts. They drink a lot of water and will dehydrate quickly so always make sure it is clean and full. Ferrets also have a very high metabolism rate. They burn calories like crazy and will always need food on hand 24/7.

Nail clippers will be needed eventually and I will be happy to walk you through clipping the nails when the times comes.

Last and most important. They needs lots of attention. A bored ferret is a mischief maker. They will poop in all the wrong places and generally make a mess if they don't get the attention they need. It's there little way of saying play with me.

Are you going to let it out of the cage for free roaming? If so ferret proof the room you are going to let him loose in. They are naturally curious and will get get stuck in the smallest places and disappear. It's amazing what tiny places they can fit in.

Also, while ferret proofing make sure no electrical wires are in chewing distance. They LOVE chewy things. Plastic and rubber is a big no no. They will chew off pieces and become impacted. Oreo got a hold of a TV controller once and chewed off all the buttons. $600 later she was recovering from surgery to remove the intestinal blockage created by the buttons.

There is so much more I can share with ya but those should get you started. If you come up with anything else ask and I will answer.

If you need a better description of anything I mentioned I can post links to them so you can see what I meant. Just let me know.

Just for my own curiosity where are you getting the ferret from? A private breeder or a pet store? If from a pet store most likely the ferret will bred by Marshall Farms or Path Valley. It will be fixed, descented and more than likely already potty trained. If the baby ferret has 2 blue/black round tattoos in the right ear it from Marshall Farms. Path Valley Ferrets have 1 tattoo in the right ear. Marshall Farms also has a ferretry in Great Britain that imports to the states. Those babies will have 2 tattoos in the right ear and a black line tattoo in between the 1st and 2nd toe of the front left paw. Just In case you see the tattoos.............. Every new owner asks.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
animalluver2005
Exclamation

im sad, my little girl died this morning lucky theres a boy ferret available, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!!! but im still sad!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!