Habitat for a northern ringneck or northern brownsnake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
QQQSSSI
Habitat for a northern ringneck or northern brownsnake

Hey everyone.

I'm trying to make a plan to set up a naturalistic vivarium for some type of small colubrid native to the northern states. Right now my two prime picks are either the northern subspecies of ringneck snake or brownsnake. Actually I'd really prefer a foxsnake, but damned if I can find those anywhere. This is for a classroom setup; I was also considering northern varieties of ratsnake or racer; but I feel like the racer would be too stressed out for that environment and space premiums might be an issue for a black ratsnake.

Anyway, I specify that this is for a classroom setup just to clarify that the more minimalist, easy maintenance setups that I and probably most other people have for their pet snakes is probably not going to cut it for display purposes.

So far I've identified two good picks for cage decor;

A "Bog" setup
http://www.carolina.com/mosses-liver...0.pr?question=

Or a "Woodland" setup
http://www.carolina.com/mosses-liver...0.pr?question=

The bog setup has the benefit of being suitable for carnivorous plants; which are themselves extremely interesting, but also come with the baggage of having a dormancy requirement which may be stressful for the snake, and an eternally wet, acidic, low-pH environment.

So for the questions;
1. Which setup would you prefer if you had to choose?
2. Can these species deal with the extremely wet, acidic conditions of a bog?
3. Does anyone have recommendations for a good bulb that produces both suitable light for plant growth and an appropriate amount of heat? I'd like to keep the wiring to a minimum.
4. Does anybody know of a good source for ringneck, dekay's brown, or fox snakes? Catching my own enters a legal grey area that, as a teacher, I'd like to avoid.

Cheers!

Old 07-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
QQQSSSI
Additionally; I myself live in the northeastern US, so I'd STRONGLY prefer the northern subspecies for authenticity purposes.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:42 PM   #3
Sanchezk
Late reply, but... Neither of these snakes are suitable for a bog environment. Both would eventually get blisters from exposure to excessive moisture. Mike Fedzen has a great page that discusses setting up a ringneck enclosure on his website. In most states dekays and ringnecks are not endangered and therefore can be field collected (in small numbers) without any legal issues. The only issue may be getting a WC snake to eat and thrive in captivity.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!