Tom Belrose of Barerootshydro.com has my money - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Lucille
Tom Belrose of Barerootshydro.com has my money

About a month ago I ordered some leca from Barerootshydro.com.

http://www.living-learning.com/store/media/leca.htm

Leca is a substrate for terrariums. I'm getting some little frogs and setting up terrariums for them. Someone who is into frogs gave me the name of his business, although she doesn't know him, just because before all this I didn't know what leca was and she wanted to help out.
I paid for the leca via Paypal.
After several weeks went by I emailed the owner, Tom Belrose. He told me he would check with his supplier, so he didn't even have it when he sold it to me.
More time went by and no leca. I sent another note and no answer. I finally filed with Paypal and they gave him 10 days to respond, he didn't. They were only able to recover $8 something of the $98 and closed the case.
I emailed him again and he said he had not responded because he had been dealing with his daughter's death. I sympathized, but also asked paypal and my refund.
He started giving me excuses, like Paypal had given me a complete refund (they hadn't, and he should know that) and then he said that they could have given me a refund because he had money in his account (I contacted them, and the case is closed, they would not go back and look). He is no longer responding to my emails.
I at first had some trepidation about posting here because if he is dealing with a death, that is a terrible thing. But if so, wouldn't he just ask for time (which of course I would grant) instead of all these notes about Paypal?
I'm assuming that if Paypal recovers even a little of the funds from a seller, they would notify him?
I don't know what to think, here: whether he is overwhelmed, or what. A little note from him saying he would get to it and take care of it was all I would have wanted, but he isn't saying that.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
John E Dove
Well we know the store address is
234 Page Hill Rd
Waterville VT, 05492

Old 06-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
greatlakesreptiles

do yo have emails to prove this ..sounds like he gave good reason as to the delay maybe your being a little impatient lmao

Old 06-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
KJUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakesreptiles
..sounds like he gave good reason as to the delay
Only if it is an HONEST reason. If he has time to reply to even ONE email, he had time to refund the paypal balance. I'm sorry for him if the death is real (and despise him if it is a lie), but I believe he has likely had enough time to clear up business if he meant to.

Lucille, what was the date you sent the money so we all have a clue as to what time frame we are looking at here? Did you pay from a PayPal balance of a CC? I ALWAYS true to use a credit card since that gives you a SECOND avenue to pursue to get your money back if PayPal doesn't treat you fairly.

KJ

Old 06-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
Lucille
I sent the funds via Paypal on May 1, but it was direct from my checking account.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
lanceheads
do yo have emails to prove this ..sounds like he gave good reason as to the delay maybe your being a little impatient lmao

I think if Lucille says this to be so...I believe her, hands down!

Old 06-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
greatlakesreptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceheads

just basically saying there's no meat on the bone! i.e. nothing to back her story up........ words of a wise man?

Old 06-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceheads

Thanks Randal.

There isn't a lot of money involved here. I guess I posted because I want to hear how all of you deal with personal issues brought up by a buyer or seller .
If indeed this happened, he has my deepest sympathy. But am I being impatient? Is it OK for me to expect for him to say something to the effect that when he can again cope with business, he will attend to our deal? He hasn't said anything like that.
I don't know what to think.
What would y'all do, in this situation?

Old 06-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #9
lanceheads
Dale,
Let me rephrase that statement.
I have always known Lucille to be honest and forthright.

Randal Berry

Old 06-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
Shiari
I would... email him, expressing my sympathy and ask him to please contact you once he is ready to resume business.

And I would also see if anyone out in that area could do an obituary check to see if the death has been reported. Or maybe have someone else contact him with regards to a business question (looking to buy) and see if he responds and how quickly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!