Help! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
rattyrugrats
Help!

I got a baby boa about 3 weeks ago. He was doing fine yesterday but I just went in a minute ago and he is stiff and I found this in the cage. At this point, I'm not sure if he's alive or dead. Any info or help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
RachelsBoa
Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. Hope he's ok! Do you have him quarantined? If not, I'd move him.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
JCCS
That honestly doesn't look good. I don't know what it is, but I've never seen anything like that coming out of a baby boa. The first thing to do would be to figure out whether it is dead or alive. If it is dead, I'd get a necropsy done if possible. As Rachel said, get it away from all other animals, one way or the other. Also, sanitize the hell out of everything.

Personally, looking at it, I don't think it's going to be communicable. It looks like something is probably just wrong with some internal system. That being said, there's no reason to take chances.

Chris

Old 11-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Metachrosis
It's puked up mucas from an advanced URI
Young boa don't fair well at this stage.
Sorry,

Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
hhmoore
Mucous - yes.
But I, myself, wouldn't hazard a guess as to which end it came out of. Either way, it isn't good...and if he's "stiff", as you stated, I'd say there isn't any doubt that it's bad.
There were no signs of poor health? Had he eaten? Defecated?

Old 11-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
joshc24
Any pics of the boa. And as asked before eaten and defacated? Is he alive still?

Old 11-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
rattyrugrats
Unfortunately he didn't make it... He had defecated once but he hadn't eaten. I'm thinking now that his disinterest in eating was caused by him not feeling very well, but he seemed fine otherwise, except for what looked like dry feces around his vent which I hadn't encountered before either and was just soaking and waiting to see if it shed out (he never shed with me though).

Old 11-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Snakesitter
I'm very sorry for your loss.

As other have indicated, sanitize his cage and *everything* he touched, including tools. Use a dilute bleach solution (~5%) to be safe.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!