Halequin boas? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
jrbannister0726
so does anyone have any information about harlequins or how they pass their genetics on to the young?

Old 12-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #12
mxracer4life
To my knowledge a Harlequin is a form of a pastel boa. Knowing where the boa came from is the most important part. The Harlequin boa originated from Tim Magee, he is the one you want to call. http://harlequinboa.blogspot.com/ is his blog site.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
mxracer4life
I have also heard that Brendan Saffron is a member on here, his screen name is Brendan. He may know a thing or 2 about Harleys.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #14
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbannister0726 View Post
So have a 1.1 pair of pos super hypo harlequins mid 08 and the male has bred my normal female and i was wondeing what the outcome would be, and any real information on the harlequin bloodline/morph. I put the male harley with the feamale and within a few hrs hes was courting her. But i decided to pull him and let her get alittle fatter before i try to breed them together and get super harleys'. Also if anyone has any info on gravid females while gravid not just the signs that they are, but habits, signs of distress, or potential issues i should know about.

Not trying to slam you in any way, but don't you think these would be the types of things to investigate BEFORE breeding them?

Every time you breed a female Boa you place her at risk of health problems because of the drain placed on her body, and the likeliness of her going off feed from gestation for several months.

Understanding the genetics so you actually have an obtainable GOAL, rather then just pairing them to see what happens, could also be seen as an important factor left out.

Just saying, researching FIRST gives you the knowledge you need to proceed towards an actual accomplishment. Anyone can breed and make babies, but having the babies that you PLANNED for, is where the glory is at. Accomplishing a goal you set for yourself, one that was actually planned out, will bring you much more satisfaction and greater sense of accomplishment.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #15
jrbannister0726
well thankyou so much for your input but i was looking for more of an experienced breeders personal experiences since i have read whats out there and i wanted info that doesn't follow the "text book" average. Because we all know boas do what they please. And my female sheila could stand to lose some weight anyways. she 8ft and 20plus lbs. i have a basic understanding of what ill get when i breed them, but like i said information is like wealth and you can never have too much, right? I want to learn and know everything there is out there about raising and breeding boas in captivity i find it very interesting and rewarding. I also contacted brendam magee and he verifyed that my two are harlequins and told me what i could expect when i breed them.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #16
AbsoluteApril
I've posted quite a bit over the years about harlequins as I have a couple small harli projects going on, mainly thanks to a breeding loan I did in 2005 with Tim Magee. Last I checked his website was down

I don't consider Harli a type of pastel, but I can see why that is said as it acts in a similar manner of de-speckling but not really an overall reduction in black like real pastel lines. The Harli seems more to enahance the color and there also appears to be some general pattern elements that are either linked to the harli gene or just run in the line those boas came from.

Here are some of my prior threads about it:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ight=harlequin (post 6)
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ight=harlequin (post 14)

Here is a group shot from a year ago with the 4 babies I kept from the Tim breeder loan with my female Zahara.

I bred the male last year but the breeding didn't take (the female never ovulated). The harli females are still a year or two away from being bred (I grow mine up slow) but I plan to breed for F2s and already working on making albino harlis but outcrossing the albino genes first and also working on harlequin sharps, 1-2 years from that one.

Opinions differ about how the gene passes, the more breeding results people post and give details on, the more we will know. Good luck with your projects, I hope you will share photos and records.

-April

Old 01-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
awesome, thanks Jeremey! I didn't know about the new site!

Oops edit, looks like he hasn't updated that site since 2006.. but still.. good to know of an active site.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #18
jrbannister0726
update, sheila is now shrinking considerably and is due the 15-25 of feb. since i managed to lose the notebook i write all my stuff in. if i could figure out how to post pics on here i would post some of mom and of dad since he's amazing looking in person. I'm in nc right now but in aug i'm getting orders to cali. I'll email pics of mom and dad to people interested in maybe getting a baby when they are born. just pm me your email. she's gotta be close since she's never shown a sign of agression and now will posture up upon me just entering the room when she is on the other side! not to mention its getting alittle scary when i change her water. i have to blow on her so she'll realize its me and chill out. lol

Old 02-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #19
SPJ
This is one of Aprils babies. A 2006 female harly.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #20
jendee
I have to join lol
My hypo harley fem
these are just web cam pics too!! I want to find more harleys like her. She is pretty sweet!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!