Heat Wave Power Outage - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
salottimc
Heat Wave Power Outage

We are looking at 103 degree weather tomorrow with bad thunderstorms tonIght. How do you keep your snakes cool in a heat wave power outage?

Old 06-30-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by salottimc View Post
We are looking at 103 degree weather tomorrow with bad thunderstorms tonIght. How do you keep your snakes cool in a heat wave power outage?
Figure out what you would lose if your animals died from a power outage, then go price a backup generator. Just make sure you know your actual power requirements so that you don't buy a generator that won't let you down when you really need it. Remember that startup amperage on compressors for A/C units is much higher than running amperage.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
rcarichter
105 degrees here, and I've contacted family members in nearby counties to tell them to expect a whole lot of animals if we lose power. A lot of my zip code went out yesterday from the over-taxed power grid. My horned lizards, who live outside, are loving it. They're basking on rocks that I can't even touch.

Noelle

Old 06-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
FireStorm
For us a generator is a must have, especially since we have a well so no power means no water.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Figure out what you would lose if your animals died from a power outage, then go price a backup generator. Just make sure you know your actual power requirements so that you don't buy a generator that won't let you down when you really need it. Remember that startup amperage on compressors for A/C units is much higher than running amperage.
As someone who frequently runs on our back up generator, you can cool a small room some by using a fan blowing over a block or bag of ice, uses less power than an A/C.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
snowgyre
If you've got ball pythons, chances are they'd be fine without AC. Now, I'm not sure what your house is like or what species you have. Keep in mind that ambient temperature for ball pythons is right around 90F anyway. I'm sure they tolerate higher temperatures than that for a day or so over in Africa, it gets bloody hot and humid over there. As long as your house doesn't get warmer than 100F I say you're fine. My house with the AC off earlier this week got to 95, and that was in my upstairs bedroom which is the hottest room in the house (and where I keep my ball pythons for that reason).

Now, if you've got reptiles that prefer colder temperatures (say, Rhacodactylus), then yeah, I'd be concerned. One thing that could help for smaller collections are water bottles kept in the fridge if you're expecting a power outage. Water keeps temperature very well, and if you place the bottles in the enclosure it will give the reptiles something to "negative bask" on (meaning the temperature of the "basking" area is less than ambient).

Old 06-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
One thing that could help for smaller collections are water bottles kept in the fridge if you're expecting a power outage. Water keeps temperature very well, and if you place the bottles in the enclosure it will give the reptiles something to "negative bask" on (meaning the temperature of the "basking" area is less than ambient).

That makes a lot of sense to me. And if you think power outages may last, freeze some of the water bottles, you'll be amazed how long water stays cold around an icy core, even out of the fridge.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
WingedSweetheart
Storm blew through here and more than half the state is without power and a lot of people are without water. We have a generator but getting gas for it has been hard because the gas stations don't have power either and the ones with generators have run out or are limiting how much you can get. I'm using the data on my phone to post. I read online my power may be back on Thursday or Friday. Though my sister said some are saying two weeks.

We did still have our land line phone working but it went dead yesterday.

Anyway to answer the question. A generator is a must. I've also given all my snakes large enough bowels to soak in. We are lucky enough to still have water. I change the water in the bowels frequently for cold water from the tap.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
AbsoluteApril
I've used cool water in 2-liters wrapped in towels placed in the enclosures before when I had power outage in las vegas that got to over 100 degrees.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
P&A Pythons
I have owned 2 for years now. One piece of advice dont skimp buy a brand like honda or another big name.Ya there pricey but the one time they break you wont have easy access to parts. If my honda goes down I can get the parts at your local honda dealer.My next home I will have one that runs of propane or gas but your looking at over 10,000. Best investment ever.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!