And people get PAID for this?!? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 08-20-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
CJBianco
And people get PAID for this?!?

My wife just told me a story.

A woman she works with bought an old house on wooded property. The woman feared she may have snakes under the house and asked if I would be willing to crawl underneath and check. I told my wife that I would rather not be caught belly-down and face-to-face in the dark with a venomous species, so the answer is probably not.

The woman then employed her brave husband to do the honors. Wrapped head-to-toe in bubblewrap (seriously), he opened the double doors leading to the spacious basement under the house. (If I had known there was standing room under the house, I would have gladly accepted the invitation to seek out a few snakes.) While sweeping the floor with his flashlight, he noticed a "nest" of snakes -- around 300 by his count -- and he swears he heard a rattling sound. As he screamed his initial findings, his wife became frightened and immediately slammed the doors closed trapping the snakes inside. And her husband, too.

After the husband miraculously escaped unharmed, they called an exterminator. This exterminator entered the basement and emerged a few minutes later with three (3) Black Ratsnakes which he then released into the nearby treeline.

He sent them a bill totaling $782.00 -- snake removal plus travel charges.

The woman has since asked if I would be willing to check again at the end of August. I told my wife that I would.

So...

Can you believe the rate this exterminator charges?

Chris Bianco
(864) 706-7399
cjbianco@charter.net

Old 08-20-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
Jim O
Gee...I remove "lost" snakes for free in my neighborhood, but I don't go in crawl spaces and no one has a basement. Maybe I should start charging...

Old 08-20-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
Lucille
[quote=CJBianco]I would rather not be caught belly-down and face-to-face in the dark with a venomous species, .

QUOTE]

Those are certainly my feelings also, lol.

While the fee he charged seems high, what if in fact there were venomous snakes, and difficult to remove? Perhaps some people have a sliding scale based on risk, but perhaps others charge everyone a lot not knowing prior to the removal what species they are dealing with.

Old 08-20-2005, 04:10 PM   #4
CJBianco
Actually, I used to catch all kinds of snakes as a kid, including venomous species. Just hold the head down with a stick and grab behind the head. No big deal. And a flashlight and a long snake hook would probably be okay under a house as long as you creeped along slowly and double-checked any nearby spaces before proceeding further.

I wonder what the legal requirements (city licensing/liability/insurance/etc) would be for starting a snake removal business...

Chris

Old 08-20-2005, 05:19 PM   #5
DAND
Being a known herper, I get calls and e-mails from people who know people, who know people, who know people, who know people I know for all kinds of snake related issues. From removal to identification purposes by a local animal warden who was given my name from my dog's allergy vet. I guess there could be good money to be made doing snake removals if the area had an abundance of snakes around and a population of people who were afraid of snakes.

Old 08-20-2005, 05:32 PM   #6
CJBianco
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBianco
Actually, I used to catch all kinds of snakes as a kid, including venomous species. Just hold the head down with a stick and grab behind the head. No big deal. And a flashlight and a long snake hook would probably be okay under a house as long as you creeped along slowly and double-checked any nearby spaces before proceeding further.
In fact, I'd be a lot more worried about venomous spiders than venomous snakes! LOL

Chris

Old 08-20-2005, 05:42 PM   #7
CJBianco
David,

This area would be prime for that kind of business. I would absolutely LOVE to do this kind of work! (Who wouldn't, right?) Of course, my snake finding skills are pretty minimal at best. LOL

I used to handle all kinds of snakes when I was young, but I never actually LOOKED for them. I just sort of found them in the woods. And I've only been on one official herp trip since then. No luck, either. LOL

I guess it wouldn't really matter much in this business, though. The snakes are already found by the customers. They just need them removed. And searching basements is pretty easy.

I bet the city, state, and/or federal regulations on this type of business would be incredible. I seriously doubt you can just get a $25 business license and start removing snakes the same day. There is probably some kind of official certification needed for a legal snake removal business.

Oh, well. The dream was good for a day.

Chris

Old 08-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
HA HA I get called at least 5 times a summer, and sometimes alot more for removal of rattlers. Of course, half the 4 ft rattlers i get called for are actually nenate gopher snakes.
I'm not all that well known either, I wonder If I advertised, and put a rate?? HMMMM

Ciao,
Rick

Old 08-20-2005, 10:37 PM   #9
Dennis1
That was a funny story
But over $700 for a fee seems ridiculess
I would go start a snake removal business here but id have to charge more because i would only find work 2 or 3 months a year...lol

Old 08-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #10
old guy
When moving my bro to Florida

some years ago he had to rent upon first being there and it was a apartment over a house. the owner of the house saw a snake in her place and described it to me as a corn snake in markings and color. i couldn't find it and the next day while we were out she called a exterminator that advertised snake removal. we came home just as the guy was leaving and i asked to see the snake that was in a cloth bag that he claimed to have found in her house. it was a yellow rat snake and charged her $200. i asked her what he brought in to help " locate " the snake and she said a capturing device and a bag. I stayed down with my brother for 3 more weeks and when looking around the outside of the house found several snake sheds and one fairly fresh with a red rat snake beneath a bush of about the same size as the owner first described the snake she saw previously in her house. to this day i can't help to think that she was taken by not even the snake that she saw but the exterminator duping her with a " brought " in snake that he appeared to find in her house. No, this expert extermination company was not of any herp knowledge other than basic knowledge of species.........

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!