What is this - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:42 PM   #1
Bill_Leverton
What is this

(back story) I am a Boa person and never really showed interest in other snakes.
but a couple days ago Loki ( my dog ) was going Bolistist in my yard and there was a Big Mamma Jam ma Snake, and went to get a sterilite to put it in, well by the time I got back it was gone........Well today I was working on the shirting on my Trailer ,,,,(laying on the ground) when I got up this was connected to the collar of my shirt..... OK now the Question What is this ???
This a smaller one then the one I saw........ I'm in Up-State NY ......What is this cool looking snake Thanks for all info

Old 06-13-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
sppeavy
looks like a corn snake. Can we see the belly? Is there markings that look like corn? Also try to get a better head shot. Thanks

Old 06-13-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
Bill_Leverton
Shaun,If I catch another tomorrow, I'll get a belly shot for y'all I let it go. . I want The bigger one....If it is a corn how big do they get ???? The big Mamma Jam Ma had to be at least 6' and a tennis ball around I thought it was a Boa I'm a city boy living in the sticks now, And I see more wild life then I did on the Discovery Channel Thanks.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
Rivets55
Eastern Milksnake

That is an Eastern Milksnake Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum - note the "Y" on the top of the head - this is diagnostic. See Conant and Collins 1998 Plate 30. Also, if you caught it in NY State, there's no way it can be a Cornsnake.

Regards,

JPD

Old 06-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
sppeavy
That makes perfect sence. A milksnake it is. I live in Kansas, so our milks actually have red coloration in them. I forgot far east species are lacking the bright colors. I also wasnt sure if it was a corn due to the area, but Im not sure how far North they go. Eastern Milk makes the most sence. Nice looking snake, too bad its not red. Later

Old 06-26-2006, 05:13 PM   #6
mmitstif
Definately an eastern milk,and a nice one at that.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
varnyard
I must agree, 100% Eastern Milk. The corns are way more placid. The Eastern are a bit more nippy. LOL They also have a blunter nose.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:29 PM   #8
varnyard
Here are some pics of one I have now. You can see they are the same.