Species with dominant or co-dominant genes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
Art Klass
Species with dominant or co-dominant genes

Lets see how many we can list. Any reptile or amphibian is fair game. I'll start with one of my favorites.

boa constrictor
co-dom hypomelanism
dom super hypo

(Breeding two hypos should result in some of the offspring being supers. Breeding supers with a normal will result in all of the offspring being hypos. These are also known as salmon, co-dom, and super salmon, supers.)

Old 07-19-2006, 09:03 AM   #2
Jake The Snake
Not going to make myself look like an ass here because I know only some basics of Genetics but I think this is going to be a good thread. Great Idea
Jake

Old 07-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
A_Kendergirl
Leopard Geckos

Mack Snow (co-dom)
Giant (incomplete dom)
Hines line Hypo (incomplete dom)
Enigma (Kelli's working on it)
Gem Snows (dom?)
Urban Snows (dom?)

Trust me....it's a HUGE mess concerning the various snows. So far, Gem snow x Gem snow = Gem snow (no supers), BUT Mack snow x Gem snow = Super Mack snow. It gets worse....to put it short, everyone is confused.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Art Klass
sounds like a nightmare Shanti. It seems like alot of those projects are still in the works. Thanks for the post.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
Wilomn
I'm working with a strain of False Water Cobras that are hypomelanistic.

The father who is expressing, has been bred to three of his daughters, one of which I would classifiy as a hypo though she has far more colour than he does.

Some of her babies I can tell right off are hypos. Some I'm not sure on. I kept some from last year and they have lightened with every shed.

I have one yearling girl who is SMOKIN, almost as little colour as her father. I don't think she'll go by next year but, by the year after she should be ready and that will be my first hypo to hypo, real nice hypo breeding.

This project is going to be interesting as well because I also got some hatchling with a lot of orange on them, which I had not seen previously.

I'll get some pics up in a few days.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
Art Klass
I'd love to see some pics Wes. Hopefully you will be able to produce some supers, however it's going to drive you nuts until you prove them out.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:08 AM   #7
hhmoore
well, there are Tiger & super Tiger reticulated pythons (codominant trait, with the super being the homozygous form).

I'm no genetics whiz, but this is the basic definition I use, pulled directly from one of the online genetics wizards:
Quote:
Codominant - an allele that causes the homozygous form to look different than wild type and the heterozygous form to have traits of both. (All three look different from each other.)
Dominant - an allele that causes the homozygous form and the heterozygous form to look the same as each other, but different than wild type.
Given that, I'm not sure how I would classify hypomelanism in boas...but I do consider the hypo to be the heterozygous form, and the super to be the homozygous

I'm not going to even begin to touch on the ball pythons, there are just too many & I am not a huge fan so I don't know the ins and outs of what is what, or even how to classify them. I do know that alot of people are haphazardly tossing around terms like dominant, incomplete dominant, codominant & using them interchangably...so I would be hesitant to do a quick lookup and post, without fully understanding the morph myself.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #8
paulh
Striped in the California king snake. Richard Zweifel had a paper about Cal kings in the Journal of Heredity back in 1982.

Pastel and Spider (and some other mutants) in the ball python.

Here's my opinion as to whether salmon (AKA hypo) in the boa is a dominant or codominant mutant. If you can tell the snakes with a salmon gene paired with a normal gene from the snakes with two salmon genes 95% of the time or better, then it's a codominant mutant. Otherwise, it's a dominant. From what I read on the forums, the proportion is considerably less than 95%, so I call it a dominant rather than a codominant. Or if you want to hedge, you can just call it "some sort of dominant".

Old 08-12-2006, 08:09 AM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
I gotta agree with Harald and Paul on the Hypo gene. Except I preferr double dose to describe the homozygous hypo rather than super. But on with the show...........

I'll choose the Codominant gene in Colombian Boas known as the MOTLEY Boa.
In the Heterozygous state, this gene creates one of the most drastic changes in the pattern I have ever seen.
In the Homozygous or Super state, the genes create a whole new look all together. So vast is the change, it's hard to believe its the same mutation. And one of My favorites I might add.

Than again, that's what codominant genes do. LOL

Rick

Old 08-12-2006, 07:40 PM   #10
M.Dwight
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
I gotta agree with Harald and Paul on the Hypo gene. Except I preferr double dose to describe the homozygous hypo rather than super. But on with the show...........

I'll choose the Codominant gene in Colombian Boas known as the MOTLEY Boa.
In the Heterozygous state, this gene creates one of the most drastic changes in the pattern I have ever seen.
In the Homozygous or Super state, the genes create a whole new look all together. So vast is the change, it's hard to believe its the same mutation. And one of My favorites I might add.

Than again, that's what codominant genes do. LOL

Rick
It's nice to see your understanding of genes has vastly grown
Boa breeders have come a long ways.

Now, if we can get them to stop calling anything with reduced melanin "T+" that would be another step in the right direction. Any boa that is not T- must be T+. Any boa that has reduced melanin is hypomelanistic of one form or another.
Later

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!