E-mail Money Transfers - Good/Bad? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Fatal_S
E-mail Money Transfers - Good/Bad?

I recently found this forum, and reading some of the awful happenings has been an eye opener. It did cause me to question something though - using e-mail money transfers.

I have been using EMTs as much as possible, since it's bank-to-bank, cheap, fast, and traceable (I think?). I'm not a huge PayPal fan, but I will use PayPal if other person prefers it. I just like EMTs myself.

However, now I see PayPal has the buyer protection covered.

Do EMTs have buyer/seller protection? Is there anything sketchy for the buyer when using EMTs? Does buying with EMTs put me at risk? And does my asking customers for EMT payments make me look sketchy?

I'll add that I am in Canada, and all Canadian banks seem to be great for EMTs. I have no idea if other countries even use EMTs?

Thank you in advance,
Melanie Pratt
www.MelsExotics.ca

Old 11-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Fangthane
There were a couple of recent threads in the Canadian BOI where E-mail transfers were used to make payments to what ended up being scammers. From what I remember, their banks wouldn't do anything about it since they knowingly initiated the transfer. It'd seem that the only protection that they offered was in the event that someone's account was hacked and a transfer sent without the account holder's knowledge. That may vary from bank to bank, though.

It seems that PayPal has at least somewhat more protection, but it's not entirely safe, either. Apparently, if they used a credit card, there's nothing to stop a buyer from doing a chargeback after they've received what they paid for.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
philli
There is no buyer protection or anything.If you initiate the transfer its all on you and the bank can do nothing.I learned my lesson and will NEVER pay through email transfer again!It's just not worth the risk of getting ripped off.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Fatal_S
Darn it. That's what I was afraid of. Thank you for the replies.

Gah, guess this means I should use PayPal then. I would never scam a customer, but I want everyone to feel safe buying from me. And I certainly don't want to use an EMT and get scammed. Poop.

Thank you both for the replies!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
AaronSerio
Balls. I didn't know this about EMTs.

I know up here in Canada a lot of people tend to use them though. PayPal hasn't quite caught on like it did South of us.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!