Alligator Setup - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Crocodilian Discussion Forum

Notices

Crocodilian Discussion Forum This section is for discussions pertaining to any and all topics concerning crocodilians.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:33 AM   #11
constrictorcrazi74
im 16 years old to and i dont think ive ever came into a situation they way you did i think you have to give respect to get it ( thats just what my parents tought me) and you said you had other people in other forums bash you because of your age i think i would say most of the people who replyed to your post gave you alot of respect even tho the way you came into the situation by calling people jerks before you even no them like they judging a book by its cover . when people are being hard on you i think its more there tryin to help you then bash you because of your age i have yet to have anyone say anything bad to me because of my age then other they wont go threw a trade with me with out my mothers consent ........ but in refrence to your baby gator just remember anything with a mouth can bight good look with the little guy

joe

Old 05-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #12
Playnwifsnot
Now I dont have one of these guys,I was just curious about some of the posts here. I work at a pet store,I am a biology major and I see nothing wrong with teaching science as I wish to teach,but on a college level...im going to be in school for awhile...lol Anyways as the person stated, this animal will never be a "pet". Never understood why have these guys, but to each their own,if you have the correct space needed, and the care, by all means. But also to point out as another did,you didnt have the space for the turtle, then you blame it on your little brother...now what makes you think a gator will be a better idea? This animal will dwarf the turtle in size and aggression, cost alot more to feed and will be hard to rehome for when it gets to large. And then think of your neighbors, do you think they really want a 6 foot long beast living next door? I would be terrified to let my dog out as who knows,she may chase something,hop the fence and be lunch. Which although it would be the neighbors fault, you are the one with the gator and will be held accounted for it. You also may want to check with your city first if you can have one. I know they are illegal in Toledo. You may also need insurance on it being it is a dangerous animal, which I personally would get even if I didnt need it just incase a little dog or child wandered where it shouldnt.

But then theres another thing you need to think of. My personal herp vet, Dr Tim was the toledo zoo vet, he wont see these guys as to much of a liability...and this is comming from the guy who 2 months ago went out to treat a cougar. You really should make sure before you get it that when this thing is big and getting not so friendly, that if a problem occures, a vet will see your animal. I know when we get big snakes into the office(I also work at the office Dr Tim does), if there is a rather large or aggressive snake or reptile come in, they tend to make the appointments on a friday in the early part of the day as they know I will be there. Heck Mr Nasty my ATB has an appointment tomorrow...yeah I dont let the girls hold him because he is mean as some bad funk from the trash can..lol My point, find a good vet first before you get the animal.

Also I dont know how important UVB is to these guys,but I do know they bask durring the day so I am assuming they need it more than say your berm did. Do you have UVB bulbs? Most of the florencent types they need to get within 8-10" of the bulb, if you cant manange that are you going to opt for mercury vapor mist bulbs?

And I agree with the calling people jerks, if you expwect good replies, you need to treat people with respect. People attack for a reason, although they dont always mean it that way, it is hard to express how one feels through posts without the use of caps, a bunch of !!!!!!!! and then there comes the name calling. A respectable person would state they know this is an aggressive animal, but loves the beauty and wishes to know all the care it would entail before comming to a decison upon buying a new animal, I know I go through this whenever I get a new species of reptile, even did it with my parrots...still do with my parrots! Treat with respect and you will get respect.

~Melissa

Old 05-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #13
kustom
I cared for an american alligator

They are really cool, aren't they? Mine seemed to be very tame also. At first he would squirm in my hands but calmed down very quickly. Eventually, he would put himself in a position for me to pick him up. He would always go to the back right corner and put his face in it and wait for me to pick him up. I would sometimes leave live food in his cage but usually i feed him on schedule. He would go to front right corner when he was hungry and raise his head to let me know he was hungry. It practically become clockwork. Definetly filter his water and even change it regularly. If you have gravel or rock in his cage wash them out often also. Be sure not to leave half eaten fish in is cage. It will become nasty quickly. That is why I didn't leave live food in there all the time. Your water temp sounds good. I kept mine in between 75 and 80. I kept the temp. around his basking spot warmer with a ceramic heater. Be sure he won't be able to reach it. They came "jump" fairly well, so he doesn't burn himself. But that is why he bask, to warm up. I also kept the other side slightly darker, that just seemed to be something he prefered. Make sure there is a gradule incline to basking area. This way he can laydown and still be in the water. Mne spent a lot of time there. At his size if he does bite you don't worry, not to bad. It feels like a bunch of little needle pricks.Mine got me once. Was going for food and lunged at a goldfish and missed. Tap him on the nose and he will let go. Mine let go immediatly anyways. Well, I think I have rambled on long enough. Good luck with him.

Aaron

Old 07-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
armchairangel
Everyone has given you sound advice and I've even taken some of it for my own use. My husband and I have a baby gator too. We've had her since she was about 16 inches and she's getting close to 3 feet now. There are two things that I'd like to add that haven't been mentioned yet.

We have our girl trained to come to us for food. We click the feeding tongs in a certain way and she'll walk to us and gently take the food. This is to facilitate moving her when she's bigger.

As far as yours being tame, I'm more inclined to think that its so afraid of you its pretending its dead. When we first got Beastie, we thought it was so cool how we could pet her head between her eyes and she'd close them and go limp as if she were in total bliss. I'd have her sit on my lap and I'd rub her head, thinking I was a queen cuz she was so docile with me. Actually, it was us putting human feelings to her actions when they don't have emotions. She looked like a human enjoying something, so we thought she was. About a month or two later, we learned that what she was doing was actually showing a very strong fear response and literally going into shock. We've stopped doing that altogether and we consider her 'tame' when she doesn't hiss at us and allows us to handle her without being too thrashy.

Baby gators think that they're prey until they reach a certain size. Everything they do is motivated by the fact that they think they're going to be eaten. While Beastie has learned to come to us for food, she still runs away every chance she can get. And when she sits calmly in my arms, I still think she's scared and that she's just tolerating me.

Our herp vet (who is willing to work with her) has a fond saying about reptiles. "Reptiles don't love you, they only tolerate you."

Old 04-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #15
RickG
Hey little jerk, lol, from someone who was once a 16 year old little jerk myself in your same situation, I know where you're coming from. When I was 16, I had a couple of spectacled caiman, countless snakes and so on. Most of the time my mother didn't let me keep anything, but she let me earn these privledges. Back then, I got no respect from other older dudes in the exotic animal communtiy.
I grew up never losing my passion for animals and went on to become a wildlife educator teaching kids in different schools about native and South American wildlife.
I will, try to help however I can...
As far as your gator being so tame, as a baby, maybe it's sick, or you just got lucky, babies are normally flighty. Is its basking spot warm enough? It should be close to about 90 degrees.
For now the tank size is big enough, but not for long. Gators grow depending on how much and how often you feed them. I bought 2 2ft long gators a few years ago and had one that I fed less often so that he can stay smaller longer to be able to use him in my school programs. The other one I fed every other day and I was raising him for shows where people wanted a bigger gator(to give my 8 footer a break now and then). In one year, the one I fed least often was about 3 ft (and dog tame) while the one I fed most often got to about 6 1/2 feet and agressive. Now the small one is 4 feet and the bigger one os about 8.
I live in Florida so setting up an outdoor habitat was no problem. I have no idea what your housing situation is, but this may help. When I had my caiman as a kid, I was living in Colorado and my mother let me use our 2 car garage for my animals. My caiman had a habitat that was basically a closed in room made with plywood and 2 x 4's (8ft x 6ft) with gravel, a pond made with liner, logs for basking and two 250 watt heat lamps just over the logs as basking spot they also had turtles in there, but they were too big for the caiman to even try to eat (so get bigger turtles about 3 inches for your little guy, don't get turtles that are too big 'cause they may eat the gator). Oh and stick to gators and not caimans... They are much easier to tame.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #16
RickG
By the way... You made the comittment to take in this little gator. Be ready for a big gator. As you feed him (or her), it will learn to associate you with food and someday will result in a bite (be ready for that one). That's why it is illegal to feed wild gators here in Florida. If you don't feed them, they do not bother with people... Regardless of the stories you may hear.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!