Tortoises STOLEN from Mich. wildlife park. - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Police Blotter

Notices

Police Blotter General notifications about thefts, breakins or and cases where animals or materials are stolen. Photos of the merchandise taken can be posted to help with recovery.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:35 PM   #21
Dennis Hultman
From another report on some of the plea deals, two of them should have received more sentencings yesterday. I haven't found anything on what they received yet.

Joshua D. Roberts and Julie Lock agree to plea deal in thefts of exotic animals
by The Flint Journal

Quote:
Detroit -- Two defendants in an exotic animal theft case will learn their fate on St. Patrick's Day.

Joshua D. Roberts of Mundy Township and Julie Lock of Flint Township have agreed to plea deals in three Wayne County cases involving stolen animals.

Prosecutors agreed to dismiss most of the charges in exchange for guilty pleas to two felonies, said Lock's attorney, Philip H. Beauvais III of Flint.

The breaking and entering and larceny felonies carry 10 year prison terms, but Beauvais said sentencing guidelines for Lock call for no more than 11 months.

"It's really sad," said Beauvais. "She's a really nice bright young lady who got caught up in a situation with her husband and his friend."

An attorney for Roberts could not be reached for comment.

The March 17 sentencing, however, will not be the last court appearance for the pair.
Roberts and Lock, along with Lock's husband, Adam, still face extradition to Florida to face charges involving stolen Toucans.

Roberts and Lock also face charges in Genesee and Saginaw counties, while Lock's case in Wayne County is ongoing.

The trio were arrested in November after raids on their homes turned up about 70 stolen animals, including a kinkajou and a wallaby.

Julie Lock is being held without bond in the Wayne County Jail, while her husband is in the Saginaw County Jail. Roberts is free on bond.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #22
John Apple
Cool Dennis they are getting some now, the only thing that bothers me is these two smokers of pole are not getting more time

Old 03-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #23
Dennis Hultman
Yeah, I have read many of the reports of the individual thefts. They did a lot of damage to the people they stole from and to the animals as well.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:51 AM   #24
Dennis Hultman
Woman sentenced in exotic animal thefts

By Austen Smith, Editor

PUBLISHED: March 20, 2008

Quote:
One of three individuals arrested in last year's theft of exotic animals from a Sumpter Township sanctuary received three months jail time, two years probation and was ordered to pay $35,000 in restitution during a sentencing held Monday in Detroit.

Julie Marie Lock, of Flint Township, was the first of the trio to be sentenced for the theft of more than 70 exotic animals in an operation that extended from Michigan to Florida. Lock, 22, along with her husband Adam Lock, 23, and accomplice Joshua Roberts, 24, were arrested after a raid of their Mundy Township home where investigators found most of the stolen animals. They also had an apartment in Flint where a number of stolen reptiles were being held.

Lock pleaded down to one felony count after originally being charged with six. Lock has been in jail since Genesee County since the time of her arrest and those days will count toward her jail time.

Several of the stolen animals came from Mark Rosenthal's Animal Magic Sanctuary including a rare seven-toed sloth, a fennec fox, an exotic toad and a kinkajou (a fox-like mammal from the raccoon family). Rosenthal, who attended Monday's sentencing, said his sloth, named "Seven," is now recovering after he was returned several months after the theft, but his stolen wallaby died as a result of mistreatment and the kinkajou fox had to have its tail amputated because of a broken bone. Rosenthal, a long-time exotic animal handler licensed in the state of Michigan, does shows for schools, festivals and events.

"What they did has affected my family, my business. We lost shows because of them. Some people would request to have Seven, so we couldn't do the show," Rosenthal said. "I'm just glad it's done now and that she is serving jail time."

Rosenthal said during the sentencing, Lock apologized for the damage that she had caused and that a number of family members were present for her support. Despite the apology, Rosenthal asked that Lock not be allowed to have any contact with animals during her probation period, which the judge granted.

After a long investigation by Sumpter Township police, Rosenthal said that he stumbled on a Web page titled "ThoseAnimalGuys.com," and saw photos of his stolen animals. Soon after, the Locks' home was raided by Mundy Township law enforcement in coordination with Sumpter and Livonia police.

Adam Lock is currently awaiting sentencing, and Roberts is locked up in a Genesee County jail on unrelated charges.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:23 AM   #25
John Apple
I have been to marks house after the sloth was returned and it is very touchy around people it does not know. It has bared it's teeth at me, but Mark is the only one that can touch the sloth Seven.
The sloth was so mean after a while it was returned to Marks house on a cold winter morning in a box on his front yard underweight and stressed.
It has gained some weight but is rather mean now, the lil bugger bares it's teeth at me.
I am glad these absolute losers are getting some payback but in my opinion it is not enough.
Mark is a helluva guy and he and his animals did not deserve this.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:35 PM   #26
Zeus9699
Stolen animals update

Hey all. My name is Mark Rosenthal and I'm the owner of Animal Magic, the exotic animal sanctuary these creeps broke into and stole from TWICE last year! I'm the one who actually caught them and accompanied the police when they executed the search warrants on these "fine upstanding citizens." We've posted quite a few links to different stories regarding these thieves on the last page of our web site. Feel free to check them out at www.iwantanimalmagic.com

I was actually served with numerous subpeonas to testify against the three of them in Livonia, Romulus and Detroit. Their laywer tried to claim that they took great care of all the stolen animals and that they had no intentions of profitting off any of them. What a joke! We know for a fact that they set up at different reptile swaps in Michigan to sell some of the stolen animals and we even tracked down a lady in Florida that they sold 4 tortoises to for $2500. These were 4 of the 5 tortoises that they stole from the Birch Run Zoo. They delivered the tortoises to Helen in Florida and then proceeded to break into her place at night and steal her toucans after already getting $2500 in cash from her. Can you believe it?!?!?!

This story was so big that it even appeared in two newspapers in India! Please feel free to email me with any questions at iwantanimalmagic@aol.com

We are a licensed non-profit exotic animal rescue/educational facility and we perform educational (and entertaining) exotic animal shows all over the country. Not that I'm soliciting, but if you would like to donate to our rescue we would greatly appreciate it. "Pogo," the Bennett's wallaby that they stole from us ended up dying and we need to raise $2800 to purchase another one (Pogo was carrying the albino gene, which is why we paid so much for her. She was a real sweetheart and not a day goes by that I don't think of her and miss her).

OK..that's all. I just wanted to update you a little bit. Keep checking our web site for more stories. We update it the first of every month.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #27
John Apple
What a shame Mark...but you know Geoff down the road from you has some wallabies...and albinos

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!