HELP WITH IDENTIFICATION OF SEVERED ARM! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Crocodilian Discussion Forum

Notices

Crocodilian Discussion Forum This section is for discussions pertaining to any and all topics concerning crocodilians.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
Keith Northrop
HELP WITH IDENTIFICATION OF SEVERED ARM!

I got a call this morning from the Copperas Cove,Tx Animal Control,Bo Brabbin,
1-817-648-8555, From the sound of his voice I figured they found a venomous snake.......Turns out a Apartment complex in the middle of the City,
which has a big Duck/Fish Pond noticed less fish. Sunday mornig a frantic
tenet called to report a strange severed arm close by the pond??......American Alligators are known to be in Belton Lake area.....Any
help Identifying this Arm would be Greatly appreciated......The Arm was cut
clean thru the bone with a very sharp knife. As you can see from the pictures
it's (Da Arm) about 12 inches in length and weights 1.25 lbs. What sized Crocodillian would be missing such appendage? Thanks......I will be preserving this for future examination.......

Old 03-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Keith Northrop
Da Pics....

Pics of severed arm
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
texasnewbie
I don't know. Sadly it doesn't surprise me anymore, that someone has obviously butchered it.

ETA. You might want to edit your pictures a little, as they show someone's phone number.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
kimnrick04
That's terrible. I hate seeing stuff like that. That's as bad as finding a local snake with its head chopped off.

Rick Vanderpool

Old 03-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
varnyard
Keith, looks like the front leg from a alligator.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
Cat_72
Poor thing.

I'm no help in IDing it, but I'm guessing someone's having gator steaks for dinner....

Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Looks like an American Alligator *shrugs* im not much help with that stuff though.

I just found this somewhat funny and thought i might share, its been around the interwebs for awhile now.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
Keith Northrop
A Funny thing to add.....

The Apartment complex that discovered this severed arm has sent out flyers
to all tenants to be on the look out for a three legged Gator????? Could a
gator live from such a wound???? Thanks

Old 03-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
victoria
Yes, it could live with just 3 legs. It does look very much like a gator . I ll post pics of my girls legs when i get home from work for comparison.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:55 AM   #10
KJUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Northrop
The Apartment complex that discovered this severed arm has sent out flyers
to all tenants to be on the look out for a three legged Gator????? Could a
gator live from such a wound???? Thanks
Yeah, we catch gators missing one or more limbs at all times. They get twisted off by other gators. That's a front arm, obviously, and NOT from an extremely large alligator. I could see a couple of guys being able to possibly hold a gator down and cut the arm off without killing the gator, but it wouldn't be EASY at that size.

Most likely, they just poached the thing (very common in Texas), saved the tail meat, and dumped the parts around town as a practical joke...or some animal drug it out of the dumpster where they placed it and was scared off before they ate on it.

The worst part is, if it os a poached gator, that they are wasting a lot of good meat. Limbs are red meat and make the best sausage, spaghetti, soup, and stew. If you are gonna poach, don't waste the resource - that make the activity 20 times worse in my mind!

KJ

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!