Chlorhexadine solution? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
rcpreis3
Question Chlorhexadine solution?

http://www.reptilebasics.com/chlorhexadine-gallon

http://www.reptilesupply.com/product...oducts_id=3061

Anyone use these?

I use dawn dish soap for my water dishes, and 91% alcohol for tub cleaning. I wanted to try something that I could use on both, because the alcohol isnt very effective on the water dishes, (IMO) and I dont want to leave soap residue on the tubs.

Plus I wanted to make sure everything gets killed, bacteria, parasites/and their eggs, viruses.

Im looking for opinions and suggestions and all posts are welcome! Thx guys.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
hhmoore
Chlorhexidine gluconate isn't the miracle solution most people think it is. It works well, when it is used properly...unfortunately, a lot of people don't use it in a manner that is consistent with the results they want. There are numerous organisms that Chlorhexidine gluconate isn't particularly effective against. Chlorhexidine diacetate is better, but carries more risks.
91% alcohol is craziness - just for the record.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
rcpreis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Chlorhexidine gluconate isn't the miracle solution most people think it is. It works well, when it is used properly...unfortunately, a lot of people don't use it in a manner that is consistent with the results they want. There are numerous organisms that Chlorhexidine gluconate isn't particularly effective against. Chlorhexidine diacetate is better, but carries more risks.
91% alcohol is craziness - just for the record.
How so

Old 06-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
hhmoore
Odor.
There is no single perfect answer. It really is a two step process...clean, then disinfect.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
rcpreis3
So its the fumes that are a bother? Or are u talking about odor left behind (like dirty bedding/poo odor after cleaning)? Would u recommend something else?

Thx for the help, I appreciate it.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:42 AM   #6
snakejems reptiles
hey robert, this stuff is awesome and works great,, no odor that will kill ur reptiles or film left like some other cleaners, i bought two gallons of it which will last a very long time,, i bought a large spray bottle and put about two ounces in it or till water turms blue is fine,,also alot of vet offices use this product across the states,, so just go buy a small portion and try it and see if it is for you,,,, good luck mark

Old 06-27-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
hhmoore
Chlorhexidine gluconate is good for what it is good for...familiarize yourself with what it does (and does not do), and be realistic in your expectations.
Learn the correct way to use it, and use it accordingly (that includes changing the solution when appropriate).

Old 06-27-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
deborahbroadus
In my quest for the miracle cleaner for my BPs cages/tubs, I think that I pretty much ran the gamut of cleaning solutions out there. As Harald said "It's a two step process": clean and then leave the Chlorhexidine in the tub (or spray) and let it sit for 5 minutes for best results.

I agree that "Chlorhexidine diacetate is better, but carries more risks." The reason I agree is that the directions show that it's more so risky for humans to use as it is stronger and can potentially cause damage if used incorrectly.

I actually started using a combination of Chlorhexidine to disinfect the tubs after cleaning and Bioshield on the dishes and in the tubs of the adult animals.

In my years of having the animals, I have not (to this date) had any issues with scale rot, or sickness in any of my animals

Old 06-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
dragonhoit
I like Chlorhexadine is a great product it is actually used in most vet offices to clean wounds and cuts when diluted

Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
hhmoore
Most of the ones I know of use Chlorhexidine diacetate, not C. gluconate. Different products, different results.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!