Cheap and Easy 4x2x1 Cage - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #21
IMAJACOBIAN
How I do it when I'm converting a tank is to first cut the center support out. Then I cut a frame to set into the inner lip of the tank. Then I tack door trim to that frame to look decent on the front. I glue all wood point with elmers glue and then silicone the assembly to the top(now front of the aquarium). When it is laid down so the front is what was the top you nail the track to the bottom and top inner frame of the cage. The glass sits inside the track.

It does take some handtools still.

At minimum I would say

Hammer(small nail gun is better)
Miter Saw(pawn shop)
Tape measure
You still have to cut the plexi and I use my small table saw

I'm going to be building some more in the near future(again), so I will try to document the whole process because it's better to see pics of it all.

Jacob

Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #22
blackandblue_lulu
(I missed these measurements they posted on the add ^^ 48"x18"front to back x 21"tall

Thanks Jacob, that makes a bit more since. I know if I learn to do this I will use it for most of my cages for breeders and bigger projects.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #23
IMAJACOBIAN
That would be a good starting size. When you lay it down, it will be 48'' wide and 18'' deep. I keep my 9.5'' Burm in a 4 x 2 foot cage, but she will need bigger soon. I like 55 gallons for smaller stuff. You could split a 55 gallon for the BPs your getting. A layed of 55 is a 4 x 2'' so split would be a good size. You might even be able make the divider removable so you could house something larger in it in the future if needed. 55s, though, are only 12'' high when layed over, so they are too short for Burms or other large species. I keep some rattlers that way and they work out great for a larger pair. I keep a pair in the 4.5' range and they have space to spare.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #24
blackandblue_lulu
the 30 gal is the only other I have at the moment 36"x18"x12". And that's best not turned. haha

Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #25
blackandblue_lulu
Will the heat tape for the 30 gal still be okay to use right in the middle of the 75 gal to even between the two snakes? or does this mean I need bigger tape too?

Old 10-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #26
IMAJACOBIAN
If it is of proper size for a 30 gal, it's probably too small for the 75 gallon. I will send you a PM to a link where they sell Flexwatt. It comes in rolls of whatever length you buy. You cut it to length and put connectors on the end. you can also put them side by side(though not touching) for a larger coverage area. I use 3" wide and like the 6 watt per foot. I use metal foil tape from Lowes design for heating ducts for high temps. I tape the flexwat to the underneath of the tanks and then use liquid electrical tape to cover all electrical connections. It important to make sure the flexwatt in flat on the botton and never overlaps or it CAN and WILL OVERHEAT. I use two pieces of 3" flexwat approx 24" long each. I place them side by side on the back left corner of every cage. That way I aways know the cold side is on the right and know where to place the water bowl. Then I use a reostat to adjust the maximum temps. Then I place a temp probe to the hot spot of one of my cages and use a Thermostat to control that series of cages. All the cages must be the same size with the same size/specs flexwatt or one could get hotter than the others and overheat and cause a fire. Flexwatt is a great affordable alternative to the premade UTH pads assuming it is used safely.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #27
blackandblue_lulu
http://youtu.be/nr0g35dHmoU This kid fixed his rack into cases, so This is basically what I am doing, but adding door trim and using plexiglass?

Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #28
IMAJACOBIAN
That's pretty much the same idea. Thats also the same exact silicome that I use for anything and everything

Old 10-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #29
blackandblue_lulu
So... I told the woman I would buy the aquarium and pick it up this weekend...

she sold it to someone else. She had no communication. I'm a little ticked. I'm still looking for something big enough to house 2 ball pythons. :/

Old 03-20-2014, 06:53 AM   #30
smigon
Okay, I LOVE this idea. However, I can change out a plumbing fixture, replace electrical units and light fixtures, repair vintage telephones, but this is out of my league. I am not good with saws because I have no place to really work with them, although I asked my husband for a radial saw for Christmas, he laughed like never before. Harumph.

Sooooo, what about this? I have 2 55 gallons, one in use, neither have braces, and a 29 tall not in use either, but all have a strong metal mesh top that folds up longways. Could I attach the bottom fold to the sideways tank with a permanent glue and use my velcro closers (which are amazing, if I do say so myself) to keep the top closed but able to swing it down when I need to get in there? I can coat or cover the bottom half of the screen so no substrate gets out.

Does this make sense?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!