Pics from Alligator Adventure - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 10-09-2005, 11:09 PM   #1
Clay Davenport
Pics from Alligator Adventure

We recently took a vacation and went to the fall bike week in Myrtle Beach. While in the area we stopped in at Alligator Adventure in North Myrtle.
I have posted the pics we took while there. If you'd like to check them out they are located here: Alligator Adventure pics

All in all it was a nice place. They have a ton of gators, and quite a few other interesting herps.
We enjoyed the couple of hours it took to walk through it.

Old 10-09-2005, 11:17 PM   #2
shrap
Very very cool, Clay. Thanks for sharing!!

Old 10-09-2005, 11:38 PM   #3
Junkyard
How tall is the fence in the feeding pictures, about 3 feet? That is too short for me. Awesome pictures, looks like you had a lot of fun.

Old 10-09-2005, 11:56 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
The fence there is 3 or 3 1/2 feet. The visitors are another 3 feet or so off the ground with a 3 foot fence in front of them as well.
I suppose it's theoretically possible for a gator to get on top of the first fence near the keeper, but no way they can get to the visitors.
A couple of the gators were coaxed to climb the fence but they weren't at all interested in climbing it.

There's also feeding stations that the keeper gets on at times that stick out over the water. Something like what you would see at Sea World where they feed the Orcas. He asked the crowd which they would prefer and we of course wanted him to get between the fences to bring the gators closer.
There was no danger at all, either to the keeper or the spectators.

Feeding Utan, their 18 foot or so saltwater croc, the keepers got inside the enclosure with him, no fence at all between them and the croc. He was truly massive. I wasn't in the position to get a decent pic of him, but he was unbelieveable. His head was at least between 3 and 4 feet long. Unreal.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:17 AM   #5
Junkyard
3-4 foot head, that is big. Well their are those who like being that close to big wild alligators.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:27 AM   #6
Clay Davenport
Well, Utan was born in captivity in the 60s, so he is pretty accustomed to people. That's not to say he isn't dangerous, he's just used to people.
He moved slow and deliberate when coming to get the food, and even had to be coaxed to take the last half of a skinned rabbit.
Regardless, if it was me in there with him the adrenaline would definately be running high. I have no doubt he could swallow my 6 foot frame whole with no problem.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:34 AM   #7
Karen Hulvey
Your pictures are awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:10 PM   #8
Lauren Summey
Those are great pictures; thanks for sharing! :-)
I actually visited there a few summers ago while in Myrtle Beach... it was a cool place.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:23 PM   #9
Lucille
Great pix, I've never seen a pic of an albino gator before.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!