Shippers Beware! DHL is UNRELIABLE. Uses the US Postal Service to deliver Packages! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
Manny
Shippers Beware! DHL is UNRELIABLE. Uses the US Postal Service to deliver Packages!

Due to Down Sizing, DHL has cut services to a large portion of thier service areas. Now instead of delivering the packages themselves, they give them to the most unreliable company in the world: The United States Postal Service and it takes twice as long for the items to be delivered. You will be better off shipping directly with the USPS at a much cheaper price.

In addition, thier services are misleading. Thier Express Service may say 12:00 Noon and the actual delivery time is by 5:00 PM.

Manuel Hernandez

Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
TripleMoonsExotic
1) Do you have any proof of this? An article maybe?

2) It is illegal to ship snakes via USPS and they do not guarantee overnight delivery.

I'm e-mailing my DHL rep to see what she has to say about it.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
1) Do you have any proof of this? An article maybe?
The service he is referring to is DHL@Home. But it clearly says 2-4 days is its fastest delivery time. http://www.dhl.com/publish/etc/media...mp/at_home.pdf

They still offer residential next day services that has nothing to do with DHL@Home.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
Ahhh, I see. So it doesn't effect me at all (or anyone else for that matter as long as they select the correct shipping method). Don't get the point of this post then. About to cause a panic for no reason.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
Don't get the point of this post then.
Agreed. It sounds like someone tried going cheap on shipping and was not happy with the results.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #6
Otter_23
I looked and USPS Express guarantees next day delivery. For geckos and such?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter_23
I looked and USPS Express guarantees next day delivery.
If you are in the post office, in small print underneath the Express service it says "Next day service not guaranteed to all areas." Express packages are only guaranteed by USPS based on area...Say you're in area A and directly around you is areas B, C and D...But around B, C and D is E, F and G...They will guarantee B, C and D...But no E, F and G.

At least that's how it was years ago when I looked into USPS shipping. Haven't been in a PO for a LONG time.

At that, USPS deliveries can be made as late as 5pm...Why would you want the animals an extra 5-7 hours in transit?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
Gary O
Steph...Can you ship snakes via DHL. if so has shipping through them worked well?

I just want to offer as many shipping methods as I can to my customers. Right now I only offer Fed Ex.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #9
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O
Steph...Can you ship snakes via DHL. if so has shipping through them worked well?

I just want to offer as many shipping methods as I can to my customers. Right now I only offer Fed Ex.
Yes, I have a contract with DHL to ship snakes. I can get you in contact with my rep if you'd like, she can setup everything for you (she has done it for other people I've given her name to). I offer both FedEx and DHL because all areas are different. Some have great service from FedEx, some have great service from DHL. You can't make a blanket statement that one is worse then the other because each hub is different.

My Uncle tells me (he works for UPS) that he can get me a shipping contract with UPS if I want...Haven't gotten around to that yet but maybe I'll talk to him about it and see who he can put me into contact with.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
TripleMoonsExotic
DHL rep got back to me about this...

Quote:
There is actually some truth to this email in that DHL has pulled out of some "rural" areas of the country. They do in fact hand these packages over to the local USPS center nearest the delivery point for final delivery with the local courier. This is a big change, and all the competition is having a hay day as a result. The bottom line is that the odds of you shipping to one of these zip codes is fairly remote, and if you use our site to ship to one of these zip codes you will get a pop up indicating that this is a remote area that will have service delays. At that point you can decide whether you would like to use DHL for that shipment.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!