Albino dropped her litter! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Yaz23
Albino dropped her litter!

Just wanted to update to all who knew about my Albino being gravid. Well she dropped her clutch this afternoon but unfortunately they were mostly slugs. It was her first time gravid so I was hoping for the better but didnt turn out that way. Ratio was: 12 slugs, 6 live. The 6 live are: 4 albino and 2 100% hets. The hets carried the dads pattern with a very nice tail stripe and ladder tail The albinos look extremely colorful cant really tell what the patterns on them are yet. I hope they all pull through, most of them still have the yolk attached and one of them didnt break through the sack so I did it myself. I will be posting pics in a few days.

By the way, my girl was so damn nice to me it was insane. Shes always been very tame and gentle, but I havent handled her since December and I went right in the cage and picked her up with no issues! I'm proud of her, shes a wonderful boa!

Old 05-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
brd7666
It's nice to hear about your litter finally arriving. How big are the yolk sacks? Judging from your description, it sounds like they are pretty big and premature. I hope they make it.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Yaz23
Thanks for the comments!

The yolk sacks are pretty large... she gave birth about 9-10 days early. I saw her contracting yesterday and was praying she wouldnt drop them this early but she did. I know 100% that one of the hets will make it because hes the only one that has been cruising around in his cage lol. I was hoping the babies would carry out the males pattern and they did, so I'm very happy about that. The albino doesnt have any type of striping or ladder tail but the males pattern still came through!

Heres a pic of the dad (a very old pic of him, but you can see what his pattern looks like).
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
brd7666
He's a good looking male. I guess all you can do is hope for the best on the babies. If you breed enough boas, sooner or later you will get a premature litter. No guarantees here, but it's fun, that's the main thing. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
Yaz23
Thanks man!

Wanted to mention, 1 of the albinos is paradox unless he/she is smudged with something. He/she looks AWESOME, I'm hoping they all pull through. I'll take some pics this weekend. Unfortunately my wife is in Spain right now (and took the camera of course) so I'm going to have to use my Iphone camera (which is what I used when I took pics of the birth) lol. I was pointing a flash light in the cage while sticking my arm in there (she is in a 4ft long x 3ft deep cage) with my cell lmao! She of course decided to drop her litter in the VERY back of the cage! Funny stuff! Man, I love my albino girl!

Old 05-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
brd7666
Paradox are cool, I have a paradox albino and a paradox sunglow. Both were from the same dad, but different moms. Lets hope they make it.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #7
Yaz23
Awesome! Yah Im really hoping they make it too. A couple of them dont look too good... Its a horrible sight, I feel so bad and helpless for them. I guess next time around for her will be better. I definitley will not be breeding her this coming season. She will get a full year off and gain a lot of weight before I breed her again. She didnt lose too much wieght but want her nice and robust for the next time I breed her.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:32 AM   #8
Utta
GRATZ YAZ!

(hey, at least you got something bro!)

Old 05-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
gsrept
hey if any of the yolks are hard, i would cut them off. and keep babies on the warm end so they will absorb them or they could end up with a blockage in there gut and at nthat point there is nothing you can do.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Yaz23
Thanks guys! Just wanted to update, unfortunately, 2 of the albinos passed away. I buried them this morning. I have 4 left: 1 albino, 1 albino paradox, and 2 hets. I hope these guys pull through. Well I know 1 of the hets is definitley fine, but the other 3 need some prayers. If all goes wrong though, I am thankful that I would have 1 healthy baby out of the 18.

I'm not planning on cutting anything. I put them all on the warm end of the cage, their on moiste paper towels with a heat pad under them and a very low wattage heat bulb from the top.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!