having some trouble - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
blackbeard
having some trouble

ive been having some trouble. i got 3 male dragons all adult breeder size. i then purchased a female who was a proven breeder at a show. i brought her home. i put her in with my male. she laid 15 eggs. about 5 of them were too small. got rid of them ...2 weeks later 5 of the rest looked almost transluisent soft and they shrunk. threw them out. then 2 weeks later the rest had looked really well until about a month later and they shriveled. now i read a little about them and i understand it was probably sperm retention from her previous male. the remaining eggs that shrunk up were my fault because i had left the lid off the container overnight. my problem is. no matter which male i put her in with neither males copulate with her. they bite her neck ride her back . she arm waves .he bobs and turns black. she bobs a little slower and arm waves but never have i seen any copulation. she laid those eggs on april15. should she be ready to breed again now ??? i also thought it was temp related so i built them better caging now their basking spot is 105-115. so now to my question for you experienced breeders out there. is there anything i can do to manipulate copulation. diet lighting . ANYTHING?? or are my males retarded ? or gay? lol....i talk to them all the time and tell them they are retarded and dont know what to do with it if they saw it ...anyways any advice would be great

Old 06-06-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
prodigy9618
Im no expert but I'm pretty sure she should only be bred once a year. You need to wait til next year, brumate them this winter and hopefully around Jan/Feb they'll be able to do their thing. Female humans think that we treat them like a piece of meat how do you think your female dragon feels if right after she gets done laying her last eggs your throwing 3 different males on her.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
blackbeard
i read that females can lay up to 3 clutches per year. so i am assuming they can be bred 3 times a year

Old 06-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
Rebel Dragons
Do you know if she had laid any clutches before you got her? It's possible that she had already been bred this year, laid 3-5 clutches and she's simply burnt out.

The best advice I can offer is let her recoup some energy and breed her next year. Better to ere on the side of caution than put her in harms way by continually trying to breed her.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:21 PM   #5
Bar None Reptiles
They don't need to breed each time they lay a clutch. You breed them once and that is it. That is where the sperm retention comes into play. I would definitely recommend bed rest for her and let her catch a break. It's alot of work making all those clutches. And if she's like alot of females out there, it's alot of work just making 1 clutch. 40+ eggs in one shot, OUCH!! As for your males, they are not the only ones out there that seem clueless when it comes to breeding. Just get everyone nice and fat and cycle them for next season. They'll catch on eventually.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
blackbeard
i think she was bred before i bought her back in feb.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
blackbeard
thanks for the info guys it will prove most useful. at least i know the males arent gay....just retarded...lol ..i love em even if i got retarded dragons.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!