Western Hognose Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
A.J.
Western Hognose Question

Hello, I am very interested in buying one of these beautiful snakes, but was wondering if they really are no threat to people? I read that they are rear-fanged venomous, and wanted to ask people who own them.

Thank you.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
99Vengeur
They are a great snake. The "venomous" aspect is a huge debate. Don't submerge yourself in this. The hognose snake has a wonderful little attitude and great disposition. I have a pair and love them to death. They pose no real threat to people. Bites rarely occur, and the ones that do happen are often due to a feed response when people smell like food. They put on a nice little defensive display, but is more often than not a huge bluff. I would highly recommend this snake species to anyone who is looking to get their first snake.

Hope this helps!

Robert Charvat

Old 10-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
Fantasy Boas

I have a pair of these guys also and I love them to death. They definitely can put on a show but once in hand they are super gentle and laid back.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
A.J.
Thank you both for the replies!

I want to get him, he is so cute. When you look in his tank at the pet store, he comes over to glass to check everyone out. It is really cool. He seems friendly, but I didn't get a chance to handle him, I only had a few minutes to pick up a few things. So hopefully next time I get down to the pet store, I will go ask to hold him.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:51 AM   #5
Razaiel
Some people can have an allergic reaction to the venom rather than from the venom. It's supposed to be on a par to having a bee/wasp sting if you are allergic to them. There is a story (complete with pic) out there on the net somewhere of some guy with a swollen hand from a hoggy bite but it is generally regarded that he deliberately let the snake chew on him for a while instead of removing it.

My hoggy female is an adult and she's an absolute darling, loves being handled and coming out. Only time she gets p**d off with me (but not biting) is this time of year when I try to feed her a mouse and she doesn't want to know (she fasted for 3 months last year)

Old 10-29-2007, 12:16 AM   #6
ladyserpent7
actually, they are a GREAT beginner snake to have. They are docile and not high maintenence. ive had mine for three years, and she doesnt even DO the bluff hissing anymore (as much as i annoy her to, cuz its so cute) lol.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
Tim Cole
Thumbs up Great Snakes!

Don't hesitate in acquiring one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!