1 day pass for the BOI? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: Should I set up a 24 hour pass for $1 to the BOI for posting rights?
Yes 9 21.43%
No 33 78.57%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2006, 03:55 AM   #11
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
This is easy enough for me to think objectively, but subjectively things just appear less then optimal. I guess it is just the completely illogical thought that there must be some magic combination of components that will please everyone.
can't be done...or maybe I'm just taking a bit of an attitude. After all, I sprung for the cash for the Benefactor level, because it offered the perks I wanted (and I enjoy this site enough to justify that $$ expenditure)...The subscription program is spelled out very clearly; and if somebody wants the benefit of posting on the BOI, they can pony up the $10. One thing just occurred to me - can a registered member do searches on the BOI? It isn't the same as posting an inquiry thread, but it frequently gets the desired information. If they cannot, I think that would be a reasonable compromise to the masses.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:42 AM   #12
Lucille
One compromise idea might be $5 for 6 months: inexpensive enough for an attaboy yet more that a troll probably wants to pay.
The vendors have a hand in all this also, for those selling more than the minimum, sending a $5 gift membership as a 'thank you' along with the item would net them some goodwill, and if the customer was new to reptiles get them even more interested in the hobby and thus possibly a repeat future customer, and of course the customer could leave the attaboy after receiving the gift membership.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:46 AM   #13
ms_terese
I don't think there's going to be any significant difference in the number of people willing to pay $1 for a day vs. those that are willing to pay $10 for a year.

If vendors start offering to pay for someone's basic membership with a sale, it will be construed as "buying" a good guy thread.

Whether new to the hobby or not, people can access the site. The only restriction is on where they can post. If they can afford to buy an animal, they can afford to pay $10 to post on the BOI. If they have the ability to come here and read the forums and still can't justify the $10, then I don't think a one day pass, or $5 for six months, is going to change that.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:17 PM   #14
Laura Fopiano
I've supported this sight through all of the changes, folks getting suspended, and banned. I feel any further financial changes would dilute the integrity of the BOI and this sight. My vote a deffinate NO!

Old 01-26-2006, 03:24 PM   #15
WebSlave
So far the voting appears to be pretty overwhelmingly against my proposal. I can't say that I disagree with the arguments. Anyone got any reservations about my moving this thread to the Feedback forum for some more general input?

Old 01-26-2006, 07:50 PM   #16
Laura Fopiano
I have no objections however, I would think that the BOI would be a better choice.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:36 PM   #17
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Cox
I have no objections however, I would think that the BOI would be a better choice.
Moving this thread to the BOI would have the same limitations that it has in the Insiders Forum. ONLY paid members can participate in it, which may be an unfair influence in the results the poll gets.

Old 01-28-2006, 10:05 AM   #18
Hurley
The main problem I see with the brief "attaboy" thread posting / feedback snippet is how many times have we seen a "So and So is a Good Guy!" thread followed up with 3 or 4 "Uh, I beg to differ..." threads. How would that work?

I'm in agreement that $10 is less than a quarter tank of gas or a mediocre dinner. It's pretty nominal, but does a good job of weeding out the trolls and bored children on holiday.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #19
Chameleon Company
The first page was disappointing ......

That would be the first 4-5 posts, until I got to Rich's explanation of some of the other restrictions of being a non-member that may not serve the Fauna community well. I have to agree with both Kathy Love and Lucille. I would ask those who voted "No" to reconsider their vote, or at least posting again addressing the concerns mentioned by Rich, and which I will also mention here.
No one will dispute the value of the $10 fee for someone who wants to participate in the BOI on a significant, longer term basis, whether that be several threads or a whole year's worth. That is not the issue however. Rich pegged it at a "one-day" user fee. Here are some ideas as to where the benefits would be:
1) Someone new to the hobby is considering a $100 purchase, and has heard of the BOI. A look at existing threads yields no info on the potential vendor. That person must now pay a 10% commission just to ask "Any info on so-and-so." $1 gets them in, and may make them a $10 contributor once they see the value of the BOI by the responses that they get.
2) Sorry, but trader ratings are pretty meaningless at his point, as only customers who are at least $10 members can give a vendor credit, pro or con. Rich specifically mentioned this snag in the system, and this change would invite, rather than discourage, that number as having more meaning. Someone suggested that we could then encourage feedback more easily from customers, as if it were a bad thing. What's wrong with that? If we anger a customer, they usually have the motivation to pay the full $10 just to start a negative thread. The trouble is that the current system discourages positive feedback.
3) Trolls. I know that Rich does not look forward to an expanded role as Sheriff, but one advantage of the current efforts that he has had to make to clean things up is that it does sometimes pay. Only Rich knows if the efforts could be called "income producing". But if a "$1 troll" does join up, then they'll get caught, and fined. So what if they don't want to pay $10, since they only had $1 in to it anyway? For starters, the system is such that once suspended, you cannot even access the site, which is a fitting penalty for a troll. So maybe they come back under a different name? Well, they still have to use a PayPal account, and it becomes a real chore to continue to hide their identity just to save $9 (or likely $8, at that juncture). Rich is very much in a position to judge the effectiveness with which people may circumvent the suspension system, as he's had to deal with it plenty already. What I am saying is that the overwhelming problem with the trolls falls on management, not the members. Let them decide that issue.
4) Someone mentioned that an increase in "good guy posts" may be undesirable as "how many times have we seen someone come in and say something to the contrary"? So, "Good Guy posts" are now undesirable? What's wrong with someone saying "I disagree" to a Good Guy post?

I applaud Rich for his insight, especially when he posted his lingering concerns mid-thread. Flame wars are down because instigators have been banned, or a few of us had our wallets deservedly lightened. The $1 PayPal hurdle will discourage many of the trolls still, who used to be able to just come in off he street and post. I would ask some to reconsider their position. Thank you.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #20
Skunky
So I'm just a regular Ol' Joe member who doesnt have access to the BOI. And although, at times I would like to have my $0.02 say..I dont think the risk of undermining your good work is worth it. It'd just be too easy for rabble-rousers to come and post negative comments.

How about a system where folks like me can either send you the intended thread, or alternatively set up a "dumping-pit forum" where we can send our good-guy or bad-guy threads (obviously, this would be a blind forum where members couldnt have access to). That forum can then be screened by you or other mods and then posted in the BOI on our behalf if seen fit?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!