Goliath Bird eater. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
Leighanne
Goliath Bird eater.

Jeff and I and a friend would like to acquire one. So I've got some questions! The care sheets I have found suck. I read they live from 3-6 years. Is this true?? 80 through 85% humidity in a 20 gallon tank with 80 degrees for heat. Is all that true. So what exactly would I need to house one?? A hermit crab heat mat?? I don't know about my friend but my room stays at the lowest 70 and higher then that. So what should us Tarantula lovers in North Eastern Ohio need to know John?? Thank You for your help!~

Old 11-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Schlyne
Ok, as far as inverts go, the caresheets almost universally suck.

I don't usually measure humidity and I will mention that I don't keep T. blondi. However, I currently keep about 50 T's. I don't keep Goliath Birdeaters (T. blondi) due to the fact that I react badly to the urticating hairs, and T. blondi is known for having pretty much the worst urticating hairs in T's.

I don't know the lifespan for T. blondi. I would guess around 8 years is typical for the lifespan.

Most tarnatulas can be kept one bone dry substrate with a water bowl without any problems. T. blondi is known to have molting issues, so that particular species needs higher humdity. Unless the area that you are keeping your T's in an area that is lower than 70's, you shouldn't need a higher temperature.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:59 AM   #3
DAND
Kristin,

Check this link out:

http://exoticpets.about.com/gi/dynam...las%2Ftcss.htm

Old 11-02-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
John Apple
T leblondi takes less care than you would imagine, I have an adult female that is going on 11 years and I feed her every week or so [she is a monster]. I also have a few slings that I am raising up.
These guys thrive on a basic general care...meaning a few inches of substrate with a damp hide. ALL of my tarantulas are right around 70 degrees year round with a 5 degree fluctuation each way. I keep them in the basement boiler room and the summer they are cooler than the winter . The Goliaths seem to thrive well being the nervous spiders that they are and eat and shed regularilly...easiest to maintain some would say, they just need a little more room than most being the monsters that they can be full grown.
I think you will have no problems just watch out for the urticating hairs....they are worse than most.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
Leighanne
So how do you watch out for those hairs??

Old 11-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #6
John Apple
Basically just don't irritate your T and it will not irritate you...some T's such as some pamph's and goliath's tend to turn around and throw hairs off the abdomen when you open up the enclosure to feed. Just be wary and close the lid quick and no problems will arrise. I have in some T's enclosure what I call a feeding hole big enough for prey but too small for the T . Then you only need to pop the top for regular maintenance.
peace
Apple

Old 11-04-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
Schlyne
I wear latex gloves when I work with my New worlders.

If i'm moving one of my new world T's that has been in a container for a long time, I wear long sleeves and gloves as a precaution.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!