Is my thinking unreasonable? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 12:29 AM   #1
Brandon Byers
Is my thinking unreasonable?

I e-mailed a gentleman, Gary Johnston, about a snake he had posted for sale. I live about 90 miles north of him and wanted to come to him and pick up the snake. I told him to let me know what was a good time for him and offered to go ahead and pay for the snake and me pick it up at his convenience. I gave him my cell phone # and told him he could call me. The Wed. prior to Thanksgiving he calls and I happen to be in his neck of the woods. He explains he has some things to do and now would not be a good time. That was fine. We talked for a few minutes and I told him what I had going on and how I really was glad to come across this snake and I wanted it and was willing to send payment right away if needed. I told him to call me or if he couldn't reach me e-mail me after Thanksgiving and we'll work something out. The following Monday I send him an e-mail letting him know I'll be back that way again on Tuesday if that would work for him. When I get back home Tuesday he has e-mailed me letting me know he has sold the snake. When I e-mailed him back asking what went wrong he said he called my cell phone one day Sat. or Sun. and left a message and I didn't call him back. However, I had e-mailed him on Monday and the next day he replied that he had sold the snake. I didn't get a chance to check my cell messages Sunday but man, is that not wrong to leave a message Sunday, get e-mail from me Monday, and tell me the snake is gone on Tuesday? I offered to paypal him the money or send MO or whatever to hold the snake until it was convenient for him for me to come get the snake. I have sold many a snake on the net and I can't imagine, especially after somewhat lengthy conversation on the phone about how definate someone was about wanting a snake, selling it to someone else without e-mailing them at least once before hand. Is my thinking Mr. Gary Johnston did me wrong unreasonable?

Thanks,
Brandon Byers

Old 12-10-2002, 02:04 AM   #2
jusmebabe
Sorry your deal fell thru.. May be a number of reasons he changed his mind some good some bad. Maybe he didn't have the snake and shipping it th ebuyer wouldn't see it till it's arrival. Maybe he didn't have the snake from the begining. The other side is miscommunication on what he heard or expected.. Alot of times people say i want it make arrangements then change mind or find better price. I would just forget about it and lok for another one...

Old 12-10-2002, 02:16 AM   #3
Brandon Byers
Thanks Joel for the reply. I'm trying to forget about it, it's just not too often you come across an adult female Hypo. Brook's., especially when you really need one for a current project. It's the only thing I can do but it burns me up.

Brandon Byers

Old 12-10-2002, 04:08 AM   #4
ReptilesPlusss
Unfortunately, The web has become quite the tool for people who want to do nothing more than waste peoples time. I understand your dissapointment. You would think that after the lengthy conversations and arrangements that were made that he would have held the snake, BUT, back to my point, until I have money in my hand a reptile isnt sold. Its sad to say, but so many jokers have ruined it for everyone!!!!! Its hard to find honest people to do biz with in this industry anymore!!! Sorry you lost out on your snake!!!!

Old 12-10-2002, 09:03 AM   #5
Casey Hulse
Lucky

From reading your side of the what happened, it sounds like you may be very lucky. I think maybe if you had paypaled him, you would be posting here for a different reason. Good luck, and I hope you find another.

Old 12-10-2002, 11:01 AM   #6
Darin Chappell
If the guy is that much of a flake to act like you described, you probably better count yourself fortunate that you didn't get that snake after all. It shows a complete lack of professionalism to behave like that, and I wouldn't do business with such a person in the future.

Old 12-10-2002, 01:36 PM   #7
gfjamp888
Brandon I am sorry it did not work out. I called you that weekend, and you did not call me back. So I went ahead and sold the animal to someone else. I figured that you lost interest. I missjudged the situation and I'm sorry. It was my understanding that you were going to call me.

Gary Johnston

Old 12-10-2002, 04:53 PM   #8
GBreptiles
a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Gary did not just turn his back and run to the next buyer as a matter of fact when I first emailed him about the brooksi he emailed me back that he had a potential buyer that was interested and that he would get back to me the next day. So he emailed me a day and half after I had emailed him about the snake and told me he had not heard from you. So I purchased her. I know that it must be very frustrating that the snake was sold very quickly, but I have to agree with reptilesplusss I can not even count how many people want to put snakes on hold or waste my time with emails phone calls and messages about buying snakes. That unfortunatly it has come to a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. To blame him seems unreasonable. I understand how frustrated you must be. But He did have me wait while he tried to get a hold of you and with some many lookers out there it is hard to know who is serious and who isn't even with phone calls. I'm sorry you feel that you were cheated some how. But what I realy want every one else know is that Gary did wait and I am very happy with my purchase and doing business with him

Old 12-10-2002, 04:58 PM   #9
Darin Chappell
Shaun,

It seems to me that Brandon was more than just a "looker" who was hesitant about what he wanted. If he is to be believed, he said that he offered to come buy the snake before Thanksgiving. He also offered to send Gary money in more than one fashion. Brandon spoke to Gary on more than one occassion about how he could BUY that snake, and Gary put him off. Brandon then misses ONE call, and the next thing he knows, the snake is sold.

You may think that this is fine. However, Gary says that he thinks he might have used poor judgment, and I would tend to agree. It seems to me that after having talked to someone (multiple times) about coming to pick the snake up with money in hand, making sure the deal has fallen through might be a good idea before selling it to someone else.

Of course, that is why I don't usually hold snakes for people unless I have money in my hand. Gary may want to approach things a bit differently next time.

I hate to ask this, but curiosity is killing me. Gary, you didn't happen to sell this snake to Shaun for a price higher than that which you quoted to Brandon, did you? I'm not accusing anyone of anything here, but it is something that is tugging at my mind a bit.

Old 12-10-2002, 05:23 PM   #10
GBreptiles
Reguardless of how many times they have spoken made arrangements I still find this very frustrating that a tool such as this is being used as a weapon against an individual that did what I or even you would have done in the same situation. You did just state that you do not consider anything sold until you have money in hand. I believe that is how many of us feel with doing business. I don't mean to sound vendictive or etc. but I do believe a day and a half of waiting for some one to return a message is long enough for a buyer who is really intereseted. However, I am not here to play lawyer for anyone I have already stated that I am very happy with doing business with Gary Johnston and I do not beleive that he should be put up on this witch hunt. In fact I do wish that I never knew that this site ever existed. I beleive that if it was used properly it would make a very good tool however, the majority of what I find is a forum where people can vent there own frustrations that they have 0. out on an individual that does not deserve it. This seems to more petty than anything. No one was ripped off. If anything it was a lack of communication on both parts and if we need to blame some one. blame both of them for they both seem to have had a communication problem. And while we are all at it blame me for buying the snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread