New breeding project - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:48 PM   #11
elena
I agree with everything John has said.

As for what you should be breeding and selling, try to pick things both that interest you, and that people really want. I don't see much of a market for either of the species you have mentioned, and you won't get very much for them. Since it takes the same amount of work to care for a valuable animal and a less valuable animal, set your sights a little higher. I personally prefer not to breed anything that does not have the potential to produce offspring worth at least $150. For example, you are interested in broad-headed skinks. Why not consider a type of skink that has more market demand, such as a pink-tongued or blue-tongued skink? You'd have to spend more on your initial breeding stock, but it would be worth it in the long run.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:02 PM   #12
nickolasanastasiou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Breeding reptiles is a profitable endeavor for fairly few people. Very knowledgable, experienced folks who are breeding high-dollar animals might see some profit. My reptile room is basically a room with a door on it into which I shovel cash.

Being involved with herps is very rewarding, but I would strongly suggest you back-burner any lucrative dreams you might have until you have a few years of hobby keeping under your belt and understand the costs involved in establishing even a small scale breeding program.
This. All of this.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:05 PM   #13
nickolasanastasiou
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
I agree with everything John has said.

As for what you should be breeding and selling, try to pick things both that interest you, and that people really want. I don't see much of a market for either of the species you have mentioned, and you won't get very much for them. Since it takes the same amount of work to care for a valuable animal and a less valuable animal, set your sights a little higher. I personally prefer not to breed anything that does not have the potential to produce offspring worth at least $150. For example, you are interested in broad-headed skinks. Why not consider a type of skink that has more market demand, such as a pink-tongued or blue-tongued skink? You'd have to spend more on your initial breeding stock, but it would be worth it in the long run.
All of this as well. These factors are incorporated into my own projects.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #14
Herpin Man
Between the two, the broad headed skink probably has more market potential. They are larger, more handleable, and easier to care for than racerunners.

As the others have said, though, be realistic about being able to sell these. Any time you are dealing with native species, remember that only a small portion of them are going to appeal to the typical herp hobbyist. Rarity, unique physical characteristics, personality, size, ease of care, handleability, saleability of the offspring- all of these are factors which will influence whether a species is going to become popular in the hobby.

My suggestion is, if you are intent on breeding herps for sale, that you focus on species with an observable demand. Even better, though, since you are new to the hobby, my advice is forget about breeding for profit, forget about all of the other factors that I just mentioned, and work with the species that most appeal to you. I think that you will find the hobby much more enjoyable when you do.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, lizards