Best place to buy a venus fly trap? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Flora > Flora General Discussions

Notices

Flora General Discussions This will cover anything and everything you all wish to discuss about plants.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
LauraB
Barry Rice is indeed very knowledgeable. I would also recommend Peter D'Amato's "Savage Garden" book for info.

I've purchased many different plants from Sarracenia Northwest (www. cobraplant. com) over the years and have never been disappointed.

Here's an old photo of one of the plants I originally purchased from them.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #12
LauraB
O good grief! I just saw that Steve's original post was in 2007 - now I just feel like a doofus

Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
WebSlave
Connie and I are actually talking about trying out hand at making some small bogs for the purpose of growing insectivorous plants. We're thinking about sinking small plastic children's pools into the ground with some drainage holes drilled into the sides. I've read where some people recommend an inside and outside pool with a hole in the bottom of the inside pool, creating a sort of moat around the inner pool. Not sure that would work here, as I would hate to be promoting healthy populations of mosquitoes. So open water will be a no-no.

We will have to use bottled distilled water if the rains aren't frequent enough, as the well water we have here is heavily mineralized. We do have a small water distiller for drinking water, but I don't think it could keep up with the volume needed for both our needs and the plants' needs.

So I'm thinking I don't want to sink a lot of money into the plants, as there is a pretty good chance that our fumbling first steps in this will probably kill them off. Plus if Connie finds a baby green anole killed by any of them, then the plants will be history.

Anyone know how well venus flytraps grow from seeds? I see quite a few people selling seed packets for them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!